Question

Creating contours from ERSI ASCII Grid (ASC) data?

• 12 September 2013
  • 4 replies

Badge +1
I've been given some free to use Digital Surface and Digital Terrain models consisting of TIF, ETW, XML and ASC files. I was wondering whether I would be able to create contours (in TAB format) from the included ESRI ASCII Grid files (ASC)?

Apologies if this is a bit of a daft question, I'm a bit new to all of this :)

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi Darren,

I would use the RasterCellCoercer to transform the raster to 3D points, and then create contours using the ContourGenerator.

Takashi
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
You might be able to send the raster directly to POINTS/LINES port of the ContourGenerator.

ContourGenerator help: POINTS/LINES: These input features may be 2D or 3D, and may reside inside a raster, a point cloud, or other aggregate structures.

Takashi
Badge +1
Hi Takashi,

Many thanks for the reply, it does look like you can send the raster directly to the ContourGenerator although I'm having a couple of issues with the output.

After experimenting with the parameters a little I've managed to generate a 5m contour file but am experiencing a large number of 'spikes'.  Could you suggest a way to minimise the spike effect?

Darren

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

It is possible that the spikes are actually locations of no data or extreme pixel values, I would try to resample the raster to possiy reduce nodata/extreme pixel values before generating the contours.

Itay