Question

Copying GeoTiff Metadata

• 17 November 2015
  • 3 replies

I'm new to FME Desktop so this may be a basic usage question. We are using Photoshop to process GeoTIFF files. However, since Photoshop is not aware of the spatial metadata in GeoTIFF files, the files it creates are saved as regular TIF files with no georeferencing. Would it be possible to copy the spatial metadata from the original GeoTIFF and apply it to the TIF that Photoshop creates? Thanks -Mark

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi,

The RasterGeoreferencer might help you.

1. Read the TIFF raster with the TIFF reader.
  2. Read the original GeoTIFF raster with the GEOTIFF reader, and extract its properties with the RasterPropertyExtractor transformer.
  3. Merge the properties to the TIFF raster with the FeatureMerger.
  4. Then, use the RasterGeoreferencer to perform georeference based on the properties which have been merged from the original GeoTIFF.
Takashi
Userlevel 4
Badge +25
I think what @takashi suggests will work, but it requires reading all files twice. Perhaps a better (faster) solution would be to write out a TIFF World file (.tfw) before doing the editing in Photoshop. This is a small text file which contains the georeferencing information. If you give it the same filename as the TIFF FME can pick it up, but Photoshop ignores it.

Please note that both solutions probably won't work if the size (in pixels) of the file is changed in Photoshop. So resampling and cropping (or extending the coverage) are not allowed.

Finally... there is an inexpensive 3rd party plug-in for Photoshop that can retain georeferencing (and will allow for more intrusive editing in Photoshop): Geographic Imager Basic
Hi Takashi, redgeographics,

Thank you both for your quick replies. We just got utterly swamped with new work so it will be a few days before I'm able to get back to this and try your suggestions but I think you've given me everything I'll need. We did evaluate the Geographic Imager Basic from Avenza that you mention and it worked brilliantly in testing, but for a variety of reasons my chain of command has requested that I try to do as much as possible in FME. I'll post back in a few days and let you know how this turned out. Thanks again! -Mark