Solved

Is it possible to update a geometry to NULL with a geodatabase writer?

• 24 February 2016
  • 7 replies

I am updating attributes for esri geodatabase feature classes which also participate in relationship classes. The attributes, including the geometry can change to NULL. How can I realize this? @RobynAtSafe, any idea?

icon

Best answer by fmelizard 24 February 2016, 20:05

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Maybe the GeometryRemover transformer?

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi David - As of FME 2014 handling NULL attributes and geometry was fully integrated into the product - see https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/21423/how-does... - for all the details.

So updating as NULLs should not be a problem. To eliminate features which contain NULLs, you can use Testers, GeometryFilters, AttributeFilters, or the NullAttributeReplacer to identify features with NULL values. I am not sure how Esri will handle a feature in a relationship class with a NULL geometry

If I have misunderstood your question please send your workspace, sample data and logfiles to us in support and I will take a closer look. https://support.safe.com/knowledgeSubmitCase

Cheers,

Robyn

Hi David - As of FME 2014 handling NULL attributes and geometry was fully integrated into the product - see https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/21423/how-does... - for all the details.

So updating as NULLs should not be a problem. To eliminate features which contain NULLs, you can use Testers, GeometryFilters, AttributeFilters, or the NullAttributeReplacer to identify features with NULL values. I am not sure how Esri will handle a feature in a relationship class with a NULL geometry

If I have misunderstood your question please send your workspace, sample data and logfiles to us in support and I will take a closer look. https://support.safe.com/knowledgeSubmitCase

Cheers,

Robyn

Thanks for your quick response and sorry for my late response (I'll check my notification settings). I do not need to eliminate entire features with null geometries. Rather, I need to delete the geometry attribute of existing features. I do not want to delete the entire feature. I just need to erase the geometry of an already existing geodatabase feature. Hopefully the attached workspace clarifies what I am trying to do. updategeometry2null.fmw

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Thanks for your quick response and sorry for my late response (I'll check my notification settings). I do not need to eliminate entire features with null geometries. Rather, I need to delete the geometry attribute of existing features. I do not want to delete the entire feature. I just need to erase the geometry of an already existing geodatabase feature. Hopefully the attached workspace clarifies what I am trying to do. updategeometry2null.fmw

If your example workspace produces the correct result, simply add the GeometryRemover in place of the null-creating Creator. That will set the geometry to null.

If your example workspace produces the correct result, simply add the GeometryRemover in place of the null-creating Creator. That will set the geometry to null.

Mark, the workspace does not produce the correct result: the original geometry does not get updated to NULL, i.e. the original polygon stays in place whereas the timestamp confirms an update has been commited . Adding a GeometryRemover is not helping out either. Alternatively, I have tried the FILEGDB writer but no luck either.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Mark, the workspace does not produce the correct result: the original geometry does not get updated to NULL, i.e. the original polygon stays in place whereas the timestamp confirms an update has been commited . Adding a GeometryRemover is not helping out either. Alternatively, I have tried the FILEGDB writer but no luck either.

I've talked with my colleagues in the support team and we wonder if it might be a problem in FME that needs fixing. I don't see any other reason why it wouldn't be possible to reset the geometry to null. I'm having them look into the issue further and we'll get back to you. If you want to file this as a case with out support team it would ensure it doesn't get lost in the mix, as it might do if we just leave the discussion on here.

Badge +11

This is being looked at from FME 2018. Stay tuned.