Question

How to format AutoCAD so that it is ready for FME conversion into IMDF

• 20 March 2019
  • 1 reply

Hello FME Community,

I am working on a project where I need to convert an AutoCAD .dwg file into Apple's Internal Mapping Data Format (IMDF).

The tutorial FME provides assumes you have a master drawing file. Being that I was not able to find a master drawing file for the space I am looking to model, I created my own AutoCAD file. I am not a Civil Engineer and I do not have experience in AutoCAD.

I wanted to know what steps I can take to actually modify the AutoCAD file such that FME will process it correctly and spit out the .geojson file I need to proceed with IMDF. I've heard certain terms like blocks, block attributes, layers, and properties but I don't know what exactly to do so that FME will read features out of the file.

If anyone is willing to share information or even resources that might put me on a better track, I'd appreciate it greatly!

Thanks!

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @bsalgado98,

The master drawing file is used to more easily align building levels that may have been drawn individually, without referencing the other levels with respect to position. It can be a new file you create for this purpose, then Xref the other files into.

CAD is likely the hardest data to properly convert to IMDF, since it allows a great deal of latitude in the presentation and topology of the features, and IMDF is pretty rigid in its requirements. If it is available, I strongly recommend getting a Facilities Management version of the CAD data, since it is more likely to be in a structure more compatible with IMDF than architectural drawings.

I will contact you directly to talk to you about the specifics of how FME can help with your conversion.