Solved

What are the specifications for a FME License Server (floating licensing)?

Badge +6

I have found specifications for desktop and server machines, but I would like to confirm what specifications are needed for a license server. What are the minimum requirements and suggested requirements?

Thank you for your time,

Julia

icon

Best answer by rylanatsafe 30 January 2018, 18:54

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

Here is the required documentation for the floating license server:

About Floating Licenses

Badge +6

Here is the required documentation for the floating license server:

About Floating Licenses

Hi @erik_jan - thank you for this link. I have reviewed this document, but don't see what the hardware specifications are. I need to know CPU, OS, RAM and disk space specifications to be able to put in a request for the server to be provisioned.

Userlevel 4

When you install the Flexserver service on a machine (e.g. your test server), it includes a pretty thorough documentation which includes Chapter 8: "Selecting a license server machine" (pages 67-70). This should explain everything you ever wanted to know, and then some.

But basically you'll most probably be fine using the following specs from Autodesk:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/network-license-administration/get-ready-network-license/review-the-network-license-manager-system-requirements

For what it's worth: On my machine running Windows 10, the Flexserver installation directory is about 10MB and the service is consuming less than 1 MB of RAM.

Badge +6

When you install the Flexserver service on a machine (e.g. your test server), it includes a pretty thorough documentation which includes Chapter 8: "Selecting a license server machine" (pages 67-70). This should explain everything you ever wanted to know, and then some.

But basically you'll most probably be fine using the following specs from Autodesk:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/network-license-administration/get-ready-network-license/review-the-network-license-manager-system-requirements

For what it's worth: On my machine running Windows 10, the Flexserver installation directory is about 10MB and the service is consuming less than 1 MB of RAM.

Thank you @david_r. Where can I find this Flexserver documentation that you refer to?

And thank you for the rest of your comment. Very helpful.
Badge +6
I need to know CPU, OS, RAM and disk space specifications to be able to put in a request for the server to be provisioned.

Userlevel 4

Thank you @david_r. Where can I find this Flexserver documentation that you refer to?

And thank you for the rest of your comment. Very helpful.
The documentation is installed in a subdirectory when you install the license server.
Badge +6
The documentation is installed in a subdirectory when you install the license server.
Ah I see. Mmm. It would be helpful to have access to that document without running the .MSI as I don't have admin on my machine to be able to run an executable. But I probably have enough information to be able to put in my request. Thanks again.

Badge +11

Hi @juliarozema - The 'Official Documentation' from Flexara Software for FlexNet Publisher is available in any of the standalone installers available at safe.com/downloads – the macOS version is handy as it's not a true installer, just a compressed folder.

Note: The document exceeds the attachment limitation on the Knowledge Center. Direct link is here...

Edit: Please note that the FlexNet Publisher will soon be updated to Version 11.15.0.0 after internal testing is complete. The installers will be available at safe.com/downloads in due time.

Badge +6

Hi @juliarozema - The 'Official Documentation' from Flexara Software for FlexNet Publisher is available in any of the standalone installers available at safe.com/downloads – the macOS version is handy as it's not a true installer, just a compressed folder.

Note: The document exceeds the attachment limitation on the Knowledge Center. Direct link is here...

Edit: Please note that the FlexNet Publisher will soon be updated to Version 11.15.0.0 after internal testing is complete. The installers will be available at safe.com/downloads in due time.

Thanks so much!

Badge +6

At this time I don't have any 3rd party zipping applications installed. Is this the only ways to unzip a tar.gz on Windows 7?

Badge +11
At this time I don't have any 3rd party zipping applications installed. Is this the only ways to unzip a tar.gz on Windows 7?

Hmm, that's a good question... I have opted to place a copy of the PDF uncompressed on our FTP for you! ftp://ftp.safe.com/outgoing/LicenseAdministration.pdf

This file will be removed during weekly cleanup (should anyone try to access in a few days).

The documentation that comes with the download does not specify what OS the license manager is compatible with. Does anyone know where this can be found or if v11.15 is compatible with Windows Server 2019?