Question

Use UserParameter for Writing OutputFile

I want to use a UserParameter to define the OutPutFile, here a FileGeoDatebase.

The Path and Filename generated generically in the Workbench.

To make the Attribut to a Parameter is using a AttributCreator.

The ParameterType ist testing with Text, Folder (Output), Filename (Output).

No success

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

By default FME will create a DestDataset user parameter, check if it's in your Navigator (under User Parameters -> Published Parameters). If not, find it in the writer-part of the Navigator, right-click on it and choose "Create user parameter".

This way whenever the user runs the workspace with the prompt and run option there will be a message box popping up, allowing this parameter (and any others you may have defined) to be set.

Thanks for our answer

The Point is, that the workbench generated the Path, the Parameter can't published.

The User can't set the Parameter.

Badge +2

Hi,

For how many FileGeoDatabases, do you want to define the path+filename?

Pratap

Badge +2

Hi,

Have you tried Fanout in Advanced in Navigator tab?

Pratap

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Yes, I think you should use a fanout. In there you can set the path and filename to an attribute value, even if you are only writing a single dataset.

If I understand correctly, that won't work. Parameters are set at the very start of a workspace and cannot be changed. You can't change the value of a parameter within a workspace.

1. One GeoDataBase

2. no FanOut

3. I hope I can Create a Parameter in a workbench.

tomorrow I testing a other way, not a AttributeCreator

Yes, I think you should use a fanout. In there you can set the path and filename to an attribute value, even if you are only writing a single dataset.

If I understand correctly, that won't work. Parameters are set at the very start of a workspace and cannot be changed. You can't change the value of a parameter within a workspace.

To overcome that problem u can use this

https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/4120/user-parameters-from-file.html

it reads out a config file that fills the user parameter before running the workspace.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I think we're all finding it hard to help based on your description. Perhaps you can upload a copy of your workspace so that we can see what is happening?

Hello Mark

what you says is correct, "You can't change the value of a parameter within a Workspace"

Sorry

That's why I have create a control Workspace, within two Jobsubmitter (for FME Server), the First create the Parameters, the second make the calculation.

Now I have Problems transfer the Parameters to the second workbench....

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Maybe use a FeatureWriter instead of a traditional writer. Then it is easy to compute a value for the dataset? You can also use Dataset Fanout and then compute an attribute in a workspace and that can be used to control the output dataset as well.