Solved

?What do fme_dataset, fme_basename, and fme_feature_type values provide for various formats

• 1 September 2017
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

What do fme_dataset, fme_basename, and fme_feature_type values provide for various formats and how do I get the name and path I need.

icon

Best answer by richardatsafe 1 September 2017, 01:20

View original

2 replies

Badge +10

If you need to get your table name or path of a dataset you can usually get what you need by exposing the fme_basename, fme_dataset, and fme_feature_type in the formats attribute tab of your reader. The table below is a good reference as to what these are for various formats.

Format, fme_feature_type, fme_dataset, fme_basename

• SDE, Schema.FeatureClass, null, null
  • FGDB, Feature Class, Path, Geodatabase Name
  • SHP, Shapefile Name, Path, Shapefile Name
  • CSV, File Name, Path, Format eg. "csv"
  • MSSQL, Schema.Table, Database Name, Database Name
  • Excel, Sheet Name, Path, File Name
  • GeoTiff, Format eg. "GeoTiff", Path, File Name
Userlevel 2
Badge +17

If you need to get your table name or path of a dataset you can usually get what you need by exposing the fme_basename, fme_dataset, and fme_feature_type in the formats attribute tab of your reader. The table below is a good reference as to what these are for various formats.

Format, fme_feature_type, fme_dataset, fme_basename

• SDE, Schema.FeatureClass, null, null
  • FGDB, Feature Class, Path, Geodatabase Name
  • SHP, Shapefile Name, Path, Shapefile Name
  • CSV, File Name, Path, Format eg. "csv"
  • MSSQL, Schema.Table, Database Name, Database Name
  • Excel, Sheet Name, Path, File Name
  • GeoTiff, Format eg. "GeoTiff", Path, File Name
Be aware that there are two options on "fme_feature_type" for the CSV format.

By default, the feature type name will be the format name "CSV", but if you set "From File Name(s)" to the "Feature Type Name(s)" parameter when adding the CSV reader to a workspace, the feature type name will be the file name without extension.

FormatFeature Type Name(s)fme_feature_typefme_datasetfme_basenameCSVFrom Format Name

-- FME Defaults"CSV"PathFile Name without extensionCSVFrom File Name(s)

-- My DefaultsFile Name without extensionPathFile Name without extensionI'm not sure the default feature type name "CSV" has what kind of advantage. I usually use "From File Name(s)" option as My Defaults.