Solved

Multiple format output - dealing with textures

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Hey fellow FME'ers,

I'm working on a process to export multiple formats some of which support textures. Now I know that FME has the capability to deal with shared items buuut does anyone know a way not output multiple copies of the same textures or overwrite existing ones? is there a way for the writers to use the shared items?

Thanks in advance for any input

icon

Best answer by daveatsafe 23 June 2020, 17:41

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @virtualcitymatt,

It depends on the formats you are writing to. For example, the OBJ writer has the option to use an existing Material file. Other formats like Collada and CityGML allows you to set the output texture folder. If you set all the writers to use the same folder, you won't be able to prevent writing multiple files, but they will overwrite each other, so you end up with a smaller texture set that all formats can access.

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Hi @virtualcitymatt,

It depends on the formats you are writing to. For example, the OBJ writer has the option to use an existing Material file. Other formats like Collada and CityGML allows you to set the output texture folder. If you set all the writers to use the same folder, you won't be able to prevent writing multiple files, but they will overwrite each other, so you end up with a smaller texture set that all formats can access.

Thanks for your suggestion @daveatsafe - this is what I was able to do. It doesn't work for all formats - for example 3ds and a couple others I'm using I can't specify a folder while others create their own unique filenames for the textures. Perhaps I should create a list of these formats im using which aren't consistent and send it in. Maybe these parameters can be made 'standard' across 3d formats.

Thanks again