Question

Building route events nativ FME - possible with newer Versions ?

Badge +3
Hi all !

I've been trying with FME and searching FMEPedia for several days without success.

Can I solve this old Problem comfortable with FME2013SP2 or 2012 SP3 ?

I found a few threats about this, discussed about older Versions like 2007, but without solutions working for me.

This seems to be an recurring problem over years, so I hope safe did anything in the meantime to make the workflow better.

Sources:

Line featues out of an SDE DB incl. SDE30_measures + Excel Sheet which includes ofcourse RouteIDs and Attributes for Route Event builing(Start & Endpoints).

I´ve tried to find a way with Feature Merger to join Attributes and Geometry in connection with Snipper, without getting satisfactory results.

The Workbench is running, but the results are incorrect and i have no idea why, no errors are occurring.

FME always select the correct Route, but the Snipper ist failing without an error.

The result is the complete route, no segmantation :(

Any idea ?

Thanks in advance

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

if you're trying to calculate routes on a network, try the new ShortestPathFinder transformer. It expects a topologically correct network as well as a simple line(!) feature connecting the start and destination coordinates.

There is a lot more info here: http://fmepedia.safe.com/articles/Samples_and_Demos/Find-the-Shortest-Path-Between-a-Start-and-End-Point

David

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi,

I guess you are looking for a way to split lines at node points and / or to associate  node points and lines. If so, the TopologyBuilder, PointOnLineOverlayer, AnchoredSnapper etc. might help you.

Take a look at those transformers.

Takashi
Badge +3
What i want to do is:

Join the excel sheet to the Dataset which includes the Geometry - that works

The Geometry owns measures for each of its Line features out of the SDE Database.

The Goal is dynamic Segmentation/linear Referecing.

The joined Excel Data contain columns for start and end of the desired segement e.g. from(1.5) to(2.0)

I want FME to snip this dynamic interval from excel, out of every Route in the list.

Length unit is kilometer

Route 1 contains measures 0 -> 18.32

snip Route 1:  1.5 - 2.0

Goal: line feature with 500meters referenced and snipped out of source data.

There is no point data inside the source files.

The Shortestpathfinder claims nodes, I 've also tried the other recommended transformers but I think they are pointing in the wrong direction.

Or do i have to go the detour with points ?

The Snipper should exactly do what i want, but it doesn't work so far.

Does FME

Badge +3
....treat the measures out of ArcGIS in another way like FME does it ?
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi,

I think the Snipper should work. One possible reason of the wrong result is that the unit of coordinate value of the geometry data is not kilo-meter (meter, degree?). The Snipper (Snipping Mode: Distance (Value)) assumes the distance unit of geometry is same as the unit of specified parameter values (Starting / Ending Location). 

Takashi
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
... or "Measure (Value)" mode of the Snipper might work.