Question

copy sheet from gsheet to excel - maintain column names

• 25 February 2019
  • 9 replies

Badge

Hello!

I need to copy the contents of a sheet in a Gsheet format into an xls sheet of an existing file that have

others sheets. the operation must overwrite the sheet only by emptying it and repopulating it, but I lose the column names even if I have selected the output field names option.

what am I doing wrong?

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hi @donatoquercia

Cloud you share us your Workspace?

Thanks,

Danilo

Badge

Hi @danilo_fme in attach you can find Old Workspace that worked until yesterday...then I've modify in other project with write transfomation and the problem it's solved, but I can't uderstand because at any moment it stop. If you have any type of suggest please give us.

Thank you in advance

Donato

Badge

Hi @danilo_fme , I confirm to you that googlesheets2xlsw-drive-eri.fmw don't copy column/fields name, if I set overwrite type the procedure work correctly (I need to preserve the structure and data of destination file, there are a lot of other sheets) but with insert type in the destination xls file fields name don't are updated. How I need to modify the workspace?

Thank you!

Donato

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hi @danilo_fme , I confirm to you that googlesheets2xlsw-drive-eri.fmw don't copy column/fields name, if I set overwrite type the procedure work correctly (I need to preserve the structure and data of destination file, there are a lot of other sheets) but with insert type in the destination xls file fields name don't are updated. How I need to modify the workspace?

Thank you!

Donato

Thanks @donatoquercia

I can't run this Workspace, because I dont have the credencials information from Google Sheets.

Could you share the log file?

Thanks,

Danilo

Badge

Thank you!

Donato

googlesheets2xlsxw_Drive_Eri.zip log file

Thank you very much!

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

googlesheets2xlsxw_Drive_Eri.zip log file

Thank you very much!

Hi @donatoquercia

Thanks your Log File.

Inside the transformer FeatureWriter - Did you try the option Writer Mode for Update?

Thanks,

Danilo

Badge

Hi @donatoquercia

Thanks your Log File.

Inside the transformer FeatureWriter - Did you try the option Writer Mode for Update?

Thanks,

Danilo

Hi @danilo_fme, in Update mode it's necessary a fild with unique code (key), but I cant modify the source file (reader) and in update mode fme module return an error about wrong xlsx_row_id .

Thanks to you!

Donato

Badge +2

Hi @donatoquercia,

Unfortunately, I can't reproduce the same issue with attribute names not writing but it looks like you have all of the parameters set correctly. Are the attribute names not appearing on all three sheets or is it just on a specific sheet?

Additionally, are you able to share a sample of the output dataset before the new data is written to it? Just wanted to confirm that the output schema matches the source dataset(s). Lastly, do you get the same result if you write to a new file or use a template file with truncate existing sheet set to yes instead of drop existing sheet?

Hope this helps.

Here is the example I was working with (the Google Sheets are publicly shared - you just have to set your connection and set the dataset parameter to the included Excel file at runtime)

example.fmwt

FILE_MASTER_Quercia_NEW.xlsx

Badge

Hi @donatoquercia,

Unfortunately, I can't reproduce the same issue with attribute names not writing but it looks like you have all of the parameters set correctly. Are the attribute names not appearing on all three sheets or is it just on a specific sheet?

Additionally, are you able to share a sample of the output dataset before the new data is written to it? Just wanted to confirm that the output schema matches the source dataset(s). Lastly, do you get the same result if you write to a new file or use a template file with truncate existing sheet set to yes instead of drop existing sheet?

Hope this helps.

Here is the example I was working with (the Google Sheets are publicly shared - you just have to set your connection and set the dataset parameter to the included Excel file at runtime)

example.fmwt

FILE_MASTER_Quercia_NEW.xlsx

Thank you very much for your work. I found the bug,I think, first of all I created an overwrite type routine to get around the problem of the lack of copying the first line with the column names, but also in this case sometimes some columns were empty even though the file was overwritten any times. I assumed the presence of a non-dynamic schema (output scheme), if a column is added to the source file or the name of one of the columns present has been modified it is not exported ... the schema generated on the fme routine createion remains invariable ? I would just like to make a copy and paste by overwriting everything, but I suppose that such a complex and complete tool like this finds difficult to perform operations as banal as mine.