Question

String formatting getting lost in transformation

• 23 January 2018
  • 8 replies

Badge +6

My strings lose their formatting once they hit my feature merger. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

8 replies

Badge +6
@daleatsafe

any ideas?

Badge +6
Hi @sashalockamy,

May we ask for a bit more information please? What kind of formatting is lost in the string? Do you have a sample workspace or data you can share with us? Screenshots would also help, if you would prefer not to share data.

It would also be great if you could share some details about the build of FME you are using as there have been some updates to the FeatureMerger since 2016.1.

Any assistance or information you are able to provide that helps narrow down the issue would be fantastic.

Cheers,

Annabelle

Badge +2
Please add some context to help everyone understand the problem to help you!

Give examples please.

Badge +6

Sure. Below, at attributeManager_2 to inspection, my strings look great, but once they go through the FeatureMerger_3, the output reformats my strings...

Badge +6

Sure. Below, at attributeManager_2 to inspection, my strings look great, but once they go through the FeatureMerger_3, the output reformats my strings...

here is the workspace...sp1-import-custom2.fmw

here is the desired output at shown in inspection results desired-output-inspection.png

here is the actual output which is no good because it reformatted my string to 2240 vs 0224 in the usaa_acct field actual-output-no-good.png

Badge +6

@mark_1spatial I added info on my issue... will you please take a look?

Badge +6

I was able to create a secondary workspace to merge two outputs and get the results I needed. Still not sure why the feature merger was changing my string length...

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Do you perhaps look at the resulting CSV table with Excel? Excel displays this CSV table like the screenshot below.

value
0019-2240
019-2240
19-2240

0684Q00000ArLk5QAF.png

You have to inspect the CSV table with a Text Editor or FME Data Inspector to confirm whether the string format has been lost actually.Left: Text Editor (Notepad++), Right: Table View in FME Data Inspector

0684Q00000ArLhVQAV.png