Question

ESRI xml georeferencing file?

• 28 March 2013
  • 3 replies

Badge +8
Hi!

Has anobody tried using the aux.xml file that ArcGIS writes when georeferencing an image, in an FME workbench?

The xml file contains all control points and their corresponding image coordinates as well as the spatial reference used.

This is in addition to a common world file which they *.tfwx (for a tiff file). According to ESRI, the x signifies that the world file is provided as 'an approximate affine transformation'. This is true.

My idea is to read the data in the aux.xlm file and use it to rectify the image with more control than is possible from within ArcGIS.

But first I'd like to check with this list if this has been done already, and if so, is there a workbench to share?

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Hi

I have not yet come across such a file, but I am interested to know the results of the georeferencing, and if it is better than the possibilities within FME to reference an image.

Cheers,

Itay
Userlevel 4
Hi,

I have never tried to parse the aux.xml file myself, but it should be possible to read it with the general XML Reader in FME.

Here is a video that shows you how to easily read and parse any XML file in FME.

David

Hi

I found this thread as I had the same question - but also, an answer.

Rather than get FME to read the XML, get Arcmap to produce the WWorld files.  There is a tool "Export Raster World Files" that can be run in batch mode that will export the relevant data to a world file.  I have loaded these into FME and all seems fine.

Cheers

ACM