Solved

Merging attributes in an ESRI Shapefile

• 4 December 2014
  • 4 replies

Hello,

I am new to FME and am having trouble performing a basic merge of attributes from a esri shapefile with multiple line attributes. I simply want to merge them all into one. The LineJoiner (I have successfully used this before) seemed to partially work but only in trimming 62 features into 33. I have tried fiddling with FeatureMerger, Aggregator but can't seem to get these to work either. All the attributes have the same common attribute (ID No.) but trying to group on this field doesn't work either. Some of the lines do not join with one another so this could be the source of the issue. I could easily perform this task in ArcGIS but wish to avoid having to switch between programmes.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tom. 
icon

Best answer by takashi 5 December 2014, 09:52

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi Tom,

Sorry, I'm not sure what the "basic merge of attributes" means.

Could you please explain more concretely what you want to do?

In addition, if you post examples, those will help us to understand your requirement correctly.

Takashi
Hi Takashi,

Thanks for the reply. To clarify I have an ESRI polyline shapefile it consists of a number of lines (62), as part of my processing this to a Google KML file I would would like to merge these lines together so that I only have one feature and not 62 in the writer file. I have done this successfully with a different shapefile using the LineJoiner but it doesn't seem to work in this case - maybe because some of the lines do not intersect?

Thanks

Tom.
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
The LineJoiner connects only lines that touch each other at their end nodes.

If you need to transform the lines into an aggregate line (i.e. multi-part line), consider using the Aggregator transformer (Mode: Geometry - Assemble One Level).
Takeshi,

Fantastic - this worked perfectly.

Sorry for asking such a basic question!

Tom.