Solved

Backup and Restore to FME Server 2018 & moving drives

• 16 April 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge +9

Has anyone ever / Is it possible to do an upgrade from 2017 to 2018 Server but move drives and restore your config in the process.

For example 2017 is installed on the C Drive- company policies is to only allow 50gb on the C Drive and no permissions for me as an admin to write on the C Drive. So I can't delete old files make changes etc without bringing in I.T which is very frustrating.

Only solution is that we move FME Server to a new drive where we can have as much space as required. So my question is, if I take a backup of 2017 where everything is configured on the CDrive and I install 2018 Server and restore to the EDrive for example will everything work as expected? Or am I expecting too much :)

icon

Best answer by jlutherthomas 16 April 2018, 16:45

View original

3 replies

Badge
There may be some inconsistencies because your workspaces were made in FME 2017, perhaps by uploading in 2018 the workspaces do not work correctly.

Badge +2

Hi @ciarab

If you do a new install and point that to install in the E drive, FME will put all the new config files in there that you'll need then when you do the restore your workspaces etc should come back.

You may need to do some reconfigs if needed, eg SSL, AD...

That's better than using the same drive.

So you'd run the back up on the 2017 machine through the web ui then just do the import on 2018, it should be fine even if you're moving drives, as when you installed you told FME 2018 you told it to use the E drive.

I'd check the back up file before you install 2018 just to check it's valid. You could also make projects for any important work as a back up.
Badge +9

Thanks @jlutherthomas that sounds promising! It would be great to get everything that's configured so far back up and running on a new drive but I'm willing to have to redo some work if required.

We have a preproduction Server too so I will run through the process in the test environment first. Hopefully it will be mostly smooth