Question

WorkspaceRunner question

Userlevel 3
Badge +26

I am working in FME2017. I have a parent workspace that calls on a child workspace via the WorkspaceRunner. Initially, both workspaces are stored in the same directory. If I move the parent workspace to a different location, the directory specified in the WorkspaceRunner automatically updates to the location I move the parent into. Since the WorkspaceRunner can no longer find the child workspace in the location being called, all the parameters are now cleared, and the WorkspaceRunner is flagged as an incomplete transformer.

I can work around this....But, is this expected, or is this a bug?

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @cartoscro,

This is the expected behavior. In Workbench, any file paths that are children of the workspace path are stored as relative to the workspace. Most people find this more convenient, since they are likely to move local data or child workspaces along with a workspace.

If you initially place the child workspace in separate folder, the WorkspaceRunner should store an absolute path to it, allowing you to move the parent workspace with no changes.

Badge +1

Hi @daveatsafe, one issue I found with this behavior is that the paths also break when the workspace is opened as a copy.

If a workspace is already opened by another user, I can only open it as a copy. In this case, all path break since the copy is opened in my temp directory. It would be great if in this scenario the paths did not change.