Solved

Why are my Database and Web Connections so slow to load for the first time?

• 11 July 2017
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Wherever I first open up FME and navigate to the Database Connections or Web Connections in the FME Options it seems like FME takes ages to load these up (almost a minute!). This is present in both FME 2016 and FME 2017. I Also notice that FME 2017 is slow to start for the first time, could this be related? Furthermore when I add an HTTPCaller to my workspace this takes a while too.

icon

Best answer by fmelizard 11 July 2017, 20:25

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Check your virus scanner settings. Some virus scanners have the option to scan archives when extracting java archives (.jar files) which FME 2017 extracts on start up and when Web Connections are access for the first time so it is likely these problems are related.

Try disabling archive scanning to see if it makes a difference. If so consider either whitelisting the FME install directory, or, the fmeworkbench.exe process itself. Here is an example of how to approach this in McAfee. As pointed out in the link, disabling archive scanning is fairly low risk, however, it will all depend on the policies of your IT security department as to the best approach on this.