Question

Transformation PostGIS to Bentley Microstation DGN V8

• 11 November 2013
  • 4 replies

Hey all,

I have a question about translating spatial data from a PostGIS database to Bentley Microstation DGN V8. Just to get an idea of what I am doing: the superior goal of my work is to store spatial data from DGN-V8-file in a central PostGIS-database, so that the spatial data can be accessed from any other place. So far, so good. The other way around, a DGN-V8-file should be the result when retrieving information from the PostGIS-database. The translation from DGN-V8 to PostGIS with FME works very well, all spatial information as well as additional attributes are transfered.

On the way back, translating the PostGIS-tables to DGN-V8, the problem occures. All the geometry information gets into the new file as well as five attributes (igds_color, igds_weight, igds_style, igds_class, igds_graphic_group). But the rest of the attributes stored in the PostGIS database are ignored. They don't appear in the resulting DGN-V8-file. For instance, there is a table, which contain text information appearing in the DGN-V8. The five mentioned attributes are transferred, but for instance the string attribute (igds_text_string) is not transferred. I am using a PostGIS-Reader and DGN-V8-Writer. 

Thanks for your help in advance!

Cheers,

Siggi

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Hi Siggi,

Are those igds attributes exposed/available in the writer?

Itay
Userlevel 4
Hi,

if the igds attributes are set when the features enter the writer, they should be written regardless of whether they are exposed or not.

Try to set an inspection point (or insert an Inspector) just before the writer to see if the features have the igds_text_string etc. applied to them.

David
Hey there,

thanks for the response. I am still very new to FME. I actually read in a whole bunch of tables from PostGIS. Or should every table be in one seperate reader? I tried but it didn't change anything.

@David R.: I chose the text-attribute and set up an test clause with a string that appears in the table. Didn't give any results back. 

@Itay: Yes, I see the attributes, right below the writer as well as the reader. Every attribute has also a green arrow. That means each writer or reader attribute has a matching attribute on the "opposite" site, right? I also find all attributes in the properties in the writer respectively the reader (user and format attributes).

Cheers,

Siggi
Userlevel 4
Hi,

I really recommend using the Inspection point functionality in FME for this one. It will allow you to pause your workspace at a given point or feature to inspect the values present at run-time:

http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Workbench/Default.htm#about_feature_inspection.htm

Green arrows on the writer at design-time are unfortunately not always fool-proof, there a a few scenarious where the attribute might not be available at run-time even though it appears to be the case at design-time.

David