Question

Corrupt shapefile - repair in FME?

Badge +1

Hello,

I have problem with shapefile with line features. I can´t read it, because log shows me following info:

"The DBF file seems to contain less records than the Shape file"

It looks that in shapefile are more features than in shapefile. How could I exctract these problematic features from shapefile please in FME?

10 replies

Badge

Hi @lazarlubomir

I believe if the shapefile is corrupt then there's no way to fix it. Maybe re-exporting it from ArcCatalog will fix the issue? I've had the same issue before but it was due to a corrupt export of the shapefile.

Also, make sure you have a .shp, .dbf, .shx, .prj file with your shapefile.

Badge +16

If by some miracle you know how many features should be in your shapefile you can append records to the dBase file to meet this number, although whatever attributes you 'assign' will be useless.

I have noticed that if I export a shape file from CAD it will do this sometimes, but if I use FME to extract specific things from the CAD file and turn it into a shape file, it ends up fine.

Badge +22

Can ArcMap read the shapefile?

Badge +2

Hi,

There are some tools in ESRI forum to address this issue and correct the shape file.

Badge +1

Hi @lazarlubomir

I believe if the shapefile is corrupt then there's no way to fix it. Maybe re-exporting it from ArcCatalog will fix the issue? I've had the same issue before but it was due to a corrupt export of the shapefile.

Also, make sure you have a .shp, .dbf, .shx, .prj file with your shapefile.

Yes, I have all of files with .shp... Finally I fixed it in ArcGIS, but I so suprise that FME dont have tool to fix shapefiles..

Badge +1

If by some miracle you know how many features should be in your shapefile you can append records to the dBase file to meet this number, although whatever attributes you 'assign' will be useless.

Your tip is useful! I can do it this way or Finally I fixed it in ArcGIS, but I so suprise that FME dont have tool to fix shapefiles..

Badge +1

Hi,

There are some tools in ESRI forum to address this issue and correct the shape file.

Yes, thank You... Finally I used several tools to fix shapefile, but in ArcGIS platform, not in FME :-(

Badge +1

Can ArcMap read the shapefile?

Yes, I can... But I wanted to ask, if FME has tool to fix shapefiles...

Hi All,

These tools should help.

http://support.esri.com/technical-article/000007161

Thanks!