Question

Creating Geometry corresponding input database (schema)

• 17 April 2013
  • 3 replies

Badge +1
Hi Community!

I hope someone could help me or give me a hint.

I have a script which transforms a database (ORACLE8I) to SDF3 (FDO). It is a simple script since the input data is configured as "Single Merged Feature Type" and the output data as "Dynamic Schema" (so the properties are dynamic corresponding to the incoming features). The result is a "copy" of the database in an SDF3, each table of the database is one Feature Type within the SDF3.

My wish is to have the empty tables of the database, too. I already know that it won't be possible to have empty Feature Types / Tables in the SDF3.

So, I would like to create some dummy features, for each database-table one dummy feature. So that there is at least one feature for every table.

Is there a way to solve that issue?

I need the SDF3 for a WebGIS. The stylization should be fix. The SDF3 is then updated weekly. It could happen that a table will be filled. To avoid checking it I would like to have at least a dummy feature.

Thanks in advance!

-GPT_Executer (Maria)

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi Maria,

I think this will be a bit tricky to achieve using dynamic schemas, since there will be no schema transferred to the writer for the tables where there are no features to read (empty tables).

That being said, it is possible to construct a SQL query in Oracle to locate all empty tables in a schema. If you use an SQLCreator to get the list of empty tables, you could then pass it on to an SQLExecutor that inserts dummy values in each of them. This solution would not require you to drop using dynamic schemas.

David
Userlevel 4
Just to clarify the below: you would have to do the trick with the SQLCreator / SQLExecutor within Oracle before the transfer to SDF3.
Badge +1
Hi David,

thanks for the quick answer.

What a bummer...

It's obious that I could not create features when there are no incoming features to get the schema.

I will go the way you described and create features in oracle before the FME-script starts.

Merci!

-GPT_Executer (Maria)