Question

FuzzyStringCompare

I have downloaded the FuzzyStringCompare transformer and tried to install it. It appear it is already installed yet it is not available to me in a workbench. Are there settings I should be checking. Does this transformer only work with certain versions? I cannot find detailed info how transformers downloaded from the FME Hub work.

I am useless with Python scripting so don't want to go down that route for the work I am doing.

7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +17

What is your FME buildnumber?

Userlevel 4

This transformer is available in two versions, one for FME 2012 SP3 and newer and one for FME 2016.1 and newer. You need to make sure you've downloaded the correct version.

When starting FME, does your log window contain something like this?

Transformer XXX version 1 in file C:\... ignored because it was created with a newer version of workbench

That would indicate that your custom transformer version if too recent for your FME installation.

In either case, I recommend that you delete the file FuzzyStringComparer.fmx that you'll normally find in 

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Safe Software\FME\FME Store\Transformers\FuzzyStringComparer.fmx

Or something similar. Then start FME and download it again.

You can also download it manually here.

David

hi @david_r Thanks for your response. I have definitely downloaded the correct version, yet when I looked for the FME store folder in the location you suggested to delete the existing fuzzystring compare transformer, it wasn't there. Could this be the problem? I am running an FME Professional Edition version 2016.1.0.0 - Build 16492 64bit SP1 on Windows 7.

Userlevel 4

hi @david_r Thanks for your response. I have definitely downloaded the correct version, yet when I looked for the FME store folder in the location you suggested to delete the existing fuzzystring compare transformer, it wasn't there. Could this be the problem? I am running an FME Professional Edition version 2016.1.0.0 - Build 16492 64bit SP1 on Windows 7.

Not sure what the problem could be. Maybe try using the 32-bit FME?

You could also check in <documents>/FME/Transformers for a transformer. Sometimes FME can get confused over which one gets priority.

Do you see anything in the folder David mentioned? In Windows Explorer you can type %appdata% into the location bar and it will take you directly to the C:\\Users\\\\AppData\\Roaming folder from which you can navigate to the SafeSoftware folder.

If that doesn't work, try contacting the Safe support team (safe.com/support) and ask them to help. They will be able to set up an online meeting where they can see exactly what is happening.

Badge +2

@shelley98 There's a couple of other things you can try in addition to David's suggestions:

• look in C:\\Users\\<user>\\Documents\\FME\\Transformers and check the old transformer isn't also lurking there
  • Check in Workbench Tools - FME Options - Default Paths and under Shared Folders. Perhaps you have a shared folder that the transformers are being stored in.
  • In the Transformer Gallery, use the Refresh (bottom of the panel)
  • In the Transformer Gallery, right click on the FuzzyStringComparer and select Delete Definition

Then try downloading the latest version of the transformer.

Mark

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi Shelley,

If you copied the FME Store folder from another user, there may be a permissions issue prevent FME from using the transformers when you are logged in.

Please delete the FME Store folder altogether, then start Workbench. If you have an internet connection, you should be able to type 'fuzzy' on the Main window, and have a number of FME Store transformers available to choose. Once you choose the FuzzyStringComparer, FME will rebuild the FME Store folder and add the transformer to it, as well as adding it to your workspace.

Dave Campanas

Hi DaveAtSafe,

shelley98 has requested your help in answering the question "FuzzyStringCompare"

I am having trouble getting the FuzzyStringCompare transformer to work. I've downloaded version 2 (2016) I am running 2016 FME Professional. I get a message that it's already installed, but the transformer is not available in a workbench for me to use. I am logged onto my colleague's PC with node-fixed licence of FME but other colleagues have been able to use this transformer on this PC without issue. I tried copying the FME store folder from my colleague's C:User/roaming folder into my own. No joy. What am I missing?