Question

Las version vs FME desktop version

• 4 August 2016
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I have a LAS file in version 1.4 and FME desktop 2014.

When reading the file I get following error: "version minor out of range".

Is FME desktop 2014 compatible with LAS version 1.4?

In the reader/writer documenattion I read "FME supports LAS versions 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4".

Or could this be a problem not related to versions?

Thanks,

Rob

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

If I google that error message I do get a bunch of results indicating that there's a LAS library (liblas) that doesn't support v1.4 LAS files. However, I'm not sure whether FME uses this library.

Also, since it's mentioned specifically in the reader/writer doc I would imagine this is tested by Safe. Your best bet is to contact support (either your reseller or Safe directly) to have them take a look at it.

Userlevel 4

An option is to download and install the latest version of FME (available here) and see if that works. If yes, then I'd say that's a case for considering an upgrade.

If you install FME 2016 to a separate directory you can keep both versions in parallel. It's very handy for these types of tests.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

What's your build number? I see support for las 1.3 and 1.4 being added in build 14260. The help doc was updated in 14265. So if the help says it is supported, it should be. But let me know what your build number is and it will help determine the next steps to take.