Question

Custom Coordinate System Crashes FME

Badge

I created a custom coordinate system using FME's online tool and placed the resultant files in the proper local FME folders. I can select these new coodinate system but when I try using them in a workbench, FME crashes hard when it accesses the new coordinate system. Something seems wrong with the new CS and is confirmed when I try to check the properties of it in the Coodinate System Gallery. What looks suspicious is the Ellipsoid value is missing. I used the ESRI WKT to define the parameters in the online tool and filled out all of the other empty boxes with the exception of Source.

17 replies

Badge
Some other details;

I'm creating a series of custom coordinate systems in an MTM projection for Zones 11 thru 16 using NAD83 CSRS to cover northwestern Ontario.

The first one I created and am having problems with, is for Zone 16 which I created from this ESRI WKT;

PROJCS["NAD83(CSRS) / MTM zone 16",GEOGCS["NAD83(CSRS)",DATUM["D_North_American_1983_CSRS98",SPHEROID["GRS_1980",6378137,298.257222101]],PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],UNIT["Degree",0.017453292519943295]],PROJECTION["Transverse_Mercator"],PARAMETER["latitude_of_origin",0],PARAMETER["central_meridian",-93],PARAMETER["scale_factor",0.9999],PARAMETER["false_easting",304800],PARAMETER["false_northing",0],UNIT["Meter",1]]

Badge
And I am using FME 2016.1

Badge
The only other thing I was unsure of when using the online tool was the quadrant. I set it to X: +West, Y: +North and later tried X: +East, Y: +North but that didn't help.

Looking at the .fme coordinate system file the online tool created yielded this;

COORDINATE_SYSTEM_DEF EPSG:26896-Redux \\

DESC_NM "NAD83(CSRS)/MTM Zone 16" \\

DT_NAME CSRS \\

GROUP CANADA \\

ORG_LAT 0 \\

PARM1 -93 \\

PROJ TM \\

QUAD 1 \\

SCL_RED 0.9999000000 \\

UNIT METER \\

X_OFF 304800 \\

Y_OFF

which if I compare to the local FME file LocalCoordSysDefs.fme it looks like the ellipsoid info is missing which is what I noticed in the Coordinate System Gallery.

It seems like the online tool is not parsing my ESRI WKT input correctly or my input is not correct even though it looks OK to me.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @akipin,

Please try adding a 0 to the Y_OFF line.

If the problem continues, and you are reprojecting to a coordinate system with a different datum, please ensure that you have the appropriate CSRS grid installed. These are not included with FME, and must be sourced from the appropriate provincial authority.

To check or change the CSRS grids, please follow the procedure at the bottom of this page.

Badge

The Y_OFF line already has a zero.

It was my mistake when I pasted the .fme contents to my comment that it got missed.

Also, I do have the Ontario NAD83 CSRS grid shift files already set up for FME.

Should the ellipsoid info show up in my .fme coord file as PARMS or some other reference?

Badge

Tried the FME online tool using a different ESRI WKT definition for EPSG:26896 sourced from another website but get the same Workbench crash.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
The only other thing I was unsure of when using the online tool was the quadrant. I set it to X: +West, Y: +North and later tried X: +East, Y: +North but that didn't help.

Looking at the .fme coordinate system file the online tool created yielded this;

COORDINATE_SYSTEM_DEF EPSG:26896-Redux \\

DESC_NM "NAD83(CSRS)/MTM Zone 16" \\

DT_NAME CSRS \\

GROUP CANADA \\

ORG_LAT 0 \\

PARM1 -93 \\

PROJ TM \\

QUAD 1 \\

SCL_RED 0.9999000000 \\

UNIT METER \\

X_OFF 304800 \\

Y_OFF

which if I compare to the local FME file LocalCoordSysDefs.fme it looks like the ellipsoid info is missing which is what I noticed in the Coordinate System Gallery.

It seems like the online tool is not parsing my ESRI WKT input correctly or my input is not correct even though it looks OK to me.

Hi @akipin,

The ellipsoid is set in the datum definition, which you have set with DT_NAME.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @akipin,

I am trying to reproduce the crash you are seeing. Can you give me the coordinates and coordinate system of a test point that cause the crash?

Badge

Hi @DaveAtSafe,

I'm trying to reproject linears in a DXF in MTM Zone 16 NAD83 Original to MTM Zone 16 CSRS

so I'm only expecting only a sub-metre shift.

My DXF data ranges from 407 586, 5 399 516 in the east to 371 071, 5 399 395 in the west.

Although, I still believe the problem lies in the custom coord sys and not in the data since I can crash FME hard by selecting my new coord sys in the Coordinate System Gallery and clicking the Properties button.

Thx

Badge

Hi @DaveAtSafe,

I've attached the custom coord sys generated with the FME online tool.

mtmz16-csrs.zip

Badge

Hi @DaveAtSafe,

I've attached the custom coord sys generated with the FME online tool.

mtmz16-csrs.zip

Which I then placed in these 2 folders;

C:\\Users\\acds\\Documents\\FME\\CoordinateSystemExceptions

C:\\Users\\acds\\Documents\\FME\\CoordinateSystems

Badge

Hi @DaveAtSafe

Below is a screenshot of the translation log which looks like it fails after reading the custom coord sys of the source DXF.

fme-wb-custom-coord-sys-fail.jpg

Badge

Hi @DaveAtSafe,

I'm trying to reproject linears in a DXF in MTM Zone 16 NAD83 Original to MTM Zone 16 CSRS

My DXF data ranges from 407 586, 5 399 516 in the east to 371 071, 5 399 395 in the west.

Although, I still believe the problem lies in the custom coord sys and not in the data since I can crash FME hard by selecting my new coord sys in the Coordinate System Gallery and clicking the Properties button.

Thx

CORRECTION: Actually I'm reprojecting the opposite way; from CSRS to NAD83 Original

Badge

Hi @DaveAtSafe,

Thx

Here's a screenshot of the Coordinate System Gallery with my custom coord sys highlighted showing a missing ellipsoid. If I click the Properties... button, FME crashes hard with all open workbenches windows closing.

fme-coordsysgallery.jpg

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @akipin,

The problem seems to be due to the first line in the exception file (.db).

Normally, we do not name the coordinate system with an EPSG number, but use the exception file to map it to an EPSG number. This will cause the Coordinate System Gallery to list it under the EPSG number as well.

By naming the coordinate system EPSG:26896 and setting the EPSG number to 26896, you are setting up a circular reference that FME is not handling well.

I have created a problem report to have FME handle this situation more gracefully, but until this is fixed, please delete the first line in the .db file. Keep the second line, so your coordinate system is properly mapped to Esri WKT.

Badge

Magic !!

Works like a charm ! Thx @DaveAtSafe

The reprojection looked good ~0.3m and I confirmed it by exporting both from MicroStation to Google Earth and the resultant KMZ's were right on top of each other.

Not having the CSRS MTM zones west of 10 were handicapping me. Now I have all of them to the Manitoba border!

Thx again Dave!

Andre

Badge

Magic !!

Works like a charm ! Thx @DaveAtSafe

The reprojection looked good ~0.3m and I confirmed it by exporting both from MicroStation to Google Earth and the resultant KMZ's were right on top of each other.

Not having the CSRS MTM zones west of 10 were handicapping me. Now I have all of them to the Manitoba border!

Thx again Dave!

Andre

BTW I named my custom coordinate system with the ESPG # because the existing ones for CSRS MTM Zones 3-10 did the same and I was just mimicking them.

Thx again