Question

Select network lines that are within a certain distance along the network from multiple points

• 20 March 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge +5

I have a network of sidewalk lines and multiple points of community centers. I want to select all those sidewalk lines that are within a certain distance along the network from all of the points. Select both entire lines and clip the lines at the specified distance.

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +17

Use a Bufferer around the points and use a Clipper to get the results.

Badge +5

Use a Bufferer around the points and use a Clipper to get the results.

That is distance as the crow flies, but I need distance along the lines.

Userlevel 1
Badge +17
That is distance as the crow flies, but I need distance along the lines.

Ah, then the next link can help: https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/698/working-with-networks-topology-and-networktransfor.html

Badge +5
I have seen that page, and along with this article page and this answer page (both thanks to Safe's Mark Ireland i.e. Mark2) I was able to get contours at specific distance intervals. The problem is the long processing time for all those unneeded contours (I only need one distance contour, but the contour generator needs a interval), and that I would then generate areas from similar contours elevations (distances) but the lines don't always snap closed so those areas don't get generated (and using the LineCloser doesn't always give proper/valid polygons) and some areas are inverted (e.g. the area for an elevation is not from 0 to X, but X to max for that hill top) where there are hills and such.

I was wondering if there was a method to do what I need to do.

I see this page expands on the idea (specifically Takashi's reply). I don't have time to experiment with it right now. I hope to let you know by month's end.
Badge +3

And what if you use the method of @stalknecht upfront to limit the number of network lines and you will do your analysis afterwards?

Another option would be to use a Bufferer and a SpatialFilter to find the usable network lines. In any case, the distance along the lines will fall within the distance the crow flies, since along a line is always longer than a straight line.