Solved

Why is an empty date parameter of different type when running it from FME Server or Workbench?

Badge

Hello,

I have a workbench with an optional DATE-parameter. When I use a tester to handle that empty date, I get different 'outcomes' when running from within FME Workbench compared to running it from FME Server. FME Server says an empty date parameter 'HAS A VALUE', but directly in Workbench an empty date parameter is an 'EMPTY STRING'. I use the exact same versions for Server and Desktop (version 2018 build 18301 Win64).

Is this a bug? How can I properly handle empty dates passed via parameters?

Regards,

Frank van Doorne

icon

Best answer by rylanatsafe 18 June 2018, 19:50

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hi @frankvandoorne

Is possible to share us your log file generated by Workbench? And the Workspace template?

I think is better to see the possible errors.

Thanks,

Danilo

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @frankvandoorne,

Is it possible that there is a default date stored in the published parameter when runnign on FME Server? One way to test would be to add in a ParamaterFetcher and follow this with a logger to see what the value is.
Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @frankvandoorne,

Is it possible that there is a default date stored in the published parameter when runnign on FME Server? One way to test would be to add in a ParamaterFetcher and follow this with a logger to see what the value is. 
Hi @MattAtSafe, I tested it with this workspace: date-parameter.fmw (FME 2018.0.0.3)

0684Q00000ArMRRQA3.pngIf you run it with FME Workbench, the _DATE stores empty string and the Tester routes the feature to the Failed port.

Log:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Feature Type: `Failed_LOGGED'Attribute(encoded: UTF-8): `_DATE' has value `'Attribute(string)        : `fme_feature_type' has value `Creator'Attribute(string)        : `fme_geometry' has value `fme_undefined'Attribute(string)        : `fme_type' has value `fme_no_geom'Coordinate System: `'Geometry Type: IFMENull=========================================================================== 
-----

However, if you publish the workspace to an FME Server and run it via the Web UI,

0684Q00000ArMEvQAN.png

_DATE will store a string "null", and therefore the Tester routes the feature to the Passed port.

Log:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Feature Type: `Passed_LOGGED'Attribute(encoded: UTF-8): `_DATE' has value `null'Attribute(string) : `fme_feature_type' has value `Creator'Attribute(string) : `fme_geometry' has value `fme_undefined'Attribute(string) : `fme_type' has value `fme_no_geom'Coordinate System: `'Geometry Type: IFMENull===========================================================================
Where the "null" come from?
Badge

Hi @MattAtSafe, @danilo_fme,

I have a few days off, so I am not able to send workbench and logfiles to you. But it is completely and exactly consistent with the test @takashi did. That would be sufficient I suppose. If you need my files too, please let me know.

Thans in advance,

Frank

Badge

Hi @frankvandoorne,

Is it possible that there is a default date stored in the published parameter when runnign on FME Server? One way to test would be to add in a ParamaterFetcher and follow this with a logger to see what the value is.
There is no default date stored in the published parameter.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @MattAtSafe, @danilo_fme,

I have a few days off, so I am not able to send workbench and logfiles to you. But it is completely and exactly consistent with the test @takashi did. That would be sufficient I suppose. If you need my files too, please let me know.

Thans in advance,

Frank

Hi @frankvandoorne and @takashi,

Wow ok thanks - I will pass this on to the team to see this fixed. in the mean time @frankvandoorne for consistency you can use a 'NullAttributeMapper' to map <null>, 'empty' and 'missing' all to 'missing' - this should help work around the problem. Very sorry for the inconvienece here.
Badge

Wow ok thanks - I will pass this on to the team to see this fixed. in the mean time @frankvandoorne for consistency you can use a 'NullAttributeMapper' to map <null>, 'empty' and 'missing' all to 'missing' - this should help work around the problem. Very sorry for the inconvienece here.
Thank you very much! Why didn’t I thought of the nullattributemapper myself ;-)

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

In my test, FME Server passed a string "null" to the parameter, rather than the value <null>. If my observation was correct, not sure if the NullAttriburteMapper could be a workaround.

Badge +11

Hi all, this issue had been reported to our development team and has been fixed for FME Server 2018.1 and Newer.

FME Server was converting the value null to a string for Date/Time – this should no longer happen, and the behaviour between Desktop and Server will match.

I'm sorry for any inconveniences and workarounds you had to implement!

Badge

Hi all, this issue had been reported to our development team and has been fixed for FME Server 2018.1 and Newer.

FME Server was converting the value null to a string for Date/Time – this should no longer happen, and the behaviour between Desktop and Server will match.

I'm sorry for any inconveniences and workarounds you had to implement!

Thanks very much, glad you fixed it so quickly!