Question

Installing FME 2016.0 on Mac

I installed FME on Mac. FME starts but when i try to add a reader, I get this type of error message: "File /Library/FME/2016.0/metafile/NULL.fmf could not be opened". I checked the filesystem and the file is on the filesystem but the filename is lowercase. When I change it to Uppercase (NULL.fmf), I don't get this message anymore but I get another error message: "File /Library/FME/2016.0/metafile/GEOJSON.fmf could not be opened". I guess the files should all be in uppercase. Could the installation package be updated?

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hi @grietmatthys

There's quite the discussion among our developers about this issue. At the moment we can only say that FME is not compatible with case-sensitive HFS file systems on the Mac platform. Some quick searches show me that FME is not the only application that has problems.

Sadly, there also appear to be significant barriers to fully supporting this, although we might be able to fix specific items like these metafile names.

I'm afraid my only suggestion is to revert to the default, case-insensitive, filesystem if you are able. But you should also contact the support team (http://safe.com/support) and have them file a case for you with our developers. That way you'll be notified if and when we make any progress. Tell them to check the conversation on the fme_macdev channel for the background (they will know what this means)

Apologies for the problems you are experiencing, and sorry I couldn't give you a more positive answer.

Mark

Product Evangelist

Safe Software Inc.

cd /Library/FME/2016.0/metafile/

sudo ln -s null.fmf NULL.fmf

same for any other errors