Question

DWG to PDF conversion

• 19 June 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge

HI Team,

I am converting 100's of DWG's into PDF documents.

I have the output set to plot the PDF to A0.

The PDF's are all very different with layering and line types.

The issue I have is in the layering many of the DWG's have frozen layers in order to depict what it shown in each DWG.

The resulting PDF export plot all layers including the frozen ones.

Is there an option to ensure the visible layers are shown and the frozen ones are not carried through to the PDF output?

I am yet to find it.

Thanks in advance!

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +17

Hi @nz

You can try enabling the Ignore Hidden Layer parameter if you are using the Autocad DWG/DXF or AutoCAD RealDWG DWG/DXF reader. If this parameter is enabled, features on hidden layers will not be read into FME and consequently will not be written to the output PDF.

Badge

Hi @nz

You can try enabling the Ignore Hidden Layer parameter if you are using the Autocad DWG/DXF or AutoCAD RealDWG DWG/DXF reader. If this parameter is enabled, features on hidden layers will not be read into FME and consequently will not be written to the output PDF.

Hi Debbie,

Thank you for the reply, I have changed the option for both "Ignore Hidden Layers" and "Ignore Frozen Layers" to yes, However the output PDF still carries all layer through. Does the hidden layers option refer to the AutoCAD layer state of "on" or "off"?

If so, then for some reason It is not reading the on/off option and defaulting them all to on.

The only way for them to not carry over is to ensure the layers are frozen.

Do you have any other solutions?

A LSP could be written or discovered to some how change all "off" layers to frozen in the first instance if the hidden layer option is not exactly what I assume it to be.

AutoCAD Architecture BDSS 2017, FME Desktop 2019 (Build 19238)
Userlevel 3
Badge +17

Hi Debbie,

Thank you for the reply, I have changed the option for both "Ignore Hidden Layers" and "Ignore Frozen Layers" to yes, However the output PDF still carries all layer through. Does the hidden layers option refer to the AutoCAD layer state of "on" or "off"?

If so, then for some reason It is not reading the on/off option and defaulting them all to on.

The only way for them to not carry over is to ensure the layers are frozen.

Do you have any other solutions?

A LSP could be written or discovered to some how change all "off" layers to frozen in the first instance if the hidden layer option is not exactly what I assume it to be.

AutoCAD Architecture BDSS 2017, FME Desktop 2019 (Build 19238)

Hi @nz

My apologies for the delayed response.

My assumption was the 'Ignore Hidden Layers' parameter referred to a layer being off in AutoCAD. As you have found, this did not seem to be the case. I have asked for clarification from our development team about this parameter and will update this thread once I have heard back from them.

As a workaround in the meantime, you can try exposing the format attribute autocad_entity_visibility and adding a Tester to test if this value is invisible. This should allow you to distinguish features from layers that are turned on versus off.