Question

My workspace works on FME Desktop, but not on FME Server

• 11 November 2016
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

I have a workspace running great on FME Desktop. When I run it from FME Server, it doesn't work. What gives?

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

This can happen for a number of reasons. In these cases we have a pretty standard routine to work towards resolution.

1. Search the Knowledge Center for any information related to the problem.

2. Review the FME Server Troubleshooting Guide section called:

Are you having problems running a job using your own workspace?

3. Narrow down the problem using Debugging Guide for FME Server. Generally you will get to a point where you remove something and then the workspace starts to work. The last thing you removed is involved in the problem. So, then you remove/modify something in that thing and so on until you narrow it down to something that can be resolved.

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

The first thing to have a good look at is the availability of the data for the Readers. The data might be availble on the desktop, but not on the server.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Here is an example of this type of problem and one approach to narrow it down.

---

The workspace runs on FME Desktop, but not FME Server. Here are some of the variables in this example:

• Separate machine
  • Account running the FME process (FME Engine service)
  • FME Workspace
  • PythonCaller Script
  • Python calls .vbs script
  • .vbs script
  • UNC path to .vbs script
---One way to narrow this down would be the following testing:

1. Is UNC the problem?

Place the .vbs file on the same machine as FME Server. Try it. Did it work?
  2. Is the content of the .vbs the problem?

Create a testing .vbs script with a single command (e.g. print statement or variable assignment). Try it. Did it work?
  3. Does .vbs not work on the machine where FME Server is installed?

Try running a .vbs script without using FME. Did it work?
  4. Does python with .vbs not work on the machine?

Try running using python to run a .vbs script without using FME. Did it work?

These are the main tests I would do. I suspect permissions problems related to the Windows Service LogOn users running FME Server Engines.