Question

Embed Coordinate System in Workbench

• 30 August 2014
  • 3 replies

Badge
I have a client who is using an ESRI specific coordinate system that FME does not 'natively' support. Normally not an issue as the ability to add custom coordinate systems is well documented.

However, as my workbench will be passed off to the client in-house and out of my control (won't easily be able to show them/help them build in the .db file), I am hoping to embed a more elegant solution. For instance, I am hoping to hard-code ESRI 102003 projected coordinate system into the workbench so that I do not need to use the ESRI reprojector (it's a blended home with both Mac and PC and OSX does not support the ESRIReprojector.)

Basically, can I either a) embed the WKID of ESRI 102003 into the workbench or b) use a feature that will always be in the "correct" coordinate system, extract the coordinate system, and reproject the other features using that?

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi Matthew,

How about passing the custom coordinate system definition file (*.fme) to your client? Reboot FME after saving the *.fme file in "My Documents/FME/CoordinateSystems/", then the FME will recognize the CS.

Takashi
Badge
After much trial and error, here's what seem's to work correctly.

I copy the full ESRI WKT definition for the Projected Coordinate System I want and paste that into an AttributeCreator. I then convert the WKT into an FME Representation using CoordinateSystemConverter. I lastly use the CSMapReprojector to reproject the feature FROM the "wrong" coordinate system (initially read in as FME_0) into my new ESRI 102003 coordinate system that I have defined. 

It seems to work just fine and the results are as I would expect so, for now, my problem has been 'solved.'

This way, I do not need to ask the clients to do extra steps, esp if they run it on different machines without remembering the extra step.

Hi MatthewBrucker

Can you share the sample workspace for the Embed Coordinate System in Workbench. I need to try for the Malaysia Coordinate Transformation process. Very appriciate your sharing.TQ

Regard

Azhar