Question

SDE30 Writer Crashes FME 2017

• 7 March 2018
  • 1 reply
  • 1 view

Badge

Currently in the process of trying to upgrade from FME Server 2015 / ArcGIS 10.2 to FME Server 2017/ArcGIS 10.5. We have around 400 scheduled replications that mostly write to an Oracle SDE database using the SDE30 writer. About 150 of these FMW's crash when run on the new environment. The log writes some warning messages (that I do not believe are related to the crash as they appear in the 2015 replications as well) and then silently crash. I have tried running with FME workbench 2017, and this process does not provide any additional logging.

The warning messages before the crash are:

FME Configuration: Using FME Reprojection EngineCreating writer for format: Esri Legacy ArcSDEFME Configuration: Destination coordinate system set to `BCALB-83'Coordinate System `BCALB-83' parameters: CS_NAME=`BCALB-83' DESC_NM=`Albers Equal Area, Province of British Columbia, Canada' DT_NAME=`NAD83' GROUP=`CANADA' MAP_SCL=`1' ORG_LAT=`45' ORG_LNG=`-126' PARM1=`50' PARM2=`58.5' PROJ=`AE' QUAD=`1' SCL_RED=`1' UNIT=`METER' X_OFF=`1000000'ArcSDE Transactions are being used by WriterArcSDE Mode Of Operation is INSERTBuffered writes are being usedUsing ArcSDE Writer to write Spatial Database Engine 3.0 dataset `idwdlvr1.bcgov'Making a direct connection using instance 'sde:oracle11g:bcgw-i.bcgov/idwdlvr1.bcgov' and userId = 'WHSE_WILDLIFE_MANAGEMENT'Direct connection made using instance 'sde:oracle11g:bcgw-i.bcgov/idwdlvr1.bcgov' and userId = 'WHSE_WILDLIFE_MANAGEMENT'ArcSDE release: '10.5'. Underlying database: '10.5.1 OCIS Patch Geodatabase(Oracle)'ArcSDE Writer: Connected to version 'SDE.DEFAULT'Writer `SDE30_1' of type `SDE30' using group definition keyword `SDE30_1_DEF'Truncating table 'WHSE_WILDLIFE_MANAGEMENT.CRIMS_CLAM_BEDS'Required columns 'OBJECTID, CLAM_ID, ' not specified for predefined table 'WHSE_WILDLIFE_MANAGEMENT.CRIMS_CLAM_BEDS'. Using Definition from DatabaseDEF line for the table 'WHSE_WILDLIFE_MANAGEMENT.CRIMS_CLAM_BEDS' not fully specified. As a result, existing table definitions will be usedGrid size 0 (-2) for table 'WHSE_WILDLIFE_MANAGEMENT.CRIMS_CLAM_BEDS' doesn't match that specified in mapping file (0)Existing SDE table 'WHSE_WILDLIFE_MANAGEMENT.CRIMS_CLAM_BEDS' allows the following shapes: SDE_NIL SDE_AREA SDE_MULTIPART . Shapes specified in mapping file for table allows: . Defined shape types don't match.Spatial column name for existing table 'WHSE_WILDLIFE_MANAGEMENT.CRIMS_CLAM_BEDS' is 'GEOMETRY' while value specified in mapping file is ''. Using existing columnExisting table 'WHSE_WILDLIFE_MANAGEMENT.CRIMS_CLAM_BEDS' does support CAD but mapping file specification for layer doesn't!Existing table 'WHSE_WILDLIFE_MANAGEMENT.CRIMS_CLAM_BEDS' has 64 bit precision but mapping file specifies 0 bit precision for the layer! Using existing table's definition.=======

Things that I have tried so far to resolve this issue include:

• Delete and re-create the writer - didn't work
  • Update the writer in FME 2017 - didn't work
  • Replace with Geodatabase writer - this did work, but its going to be an enormous amount of work to go through all 150 FMW's and replace with the new writer.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Kevin

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @guy_lafleur, the libraries needed for the SDE30 format are no longer shipped with ArcGIS Desktop beyond 10.2. You can read more about the libraries here: ArcSDE Libraries Required for the Esri ArcSDE SDE30

Although not formally supported, some users have found having ArcGIS Pro is successful when using the SDE30 format.