Question

Running Workspaces in series - FME Server

• 26 April 2018
  • 8 replies

Badge +2

Hi All,

I have just started working on FME Server.

Is there any way to execute workspaces in series i.e. executing workbench-2.fmw after completion of workbench-1.fmw

Pratap

8 replies

Badge +10

I think the WorkspaceRunner is the way to go.

Otherwise you'll have to do something with the output of workspace-1.fmw calling workspace-2.fmw.

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

Actually, with FME Server, you should look at building a master workspace, and have that utilize FMEServerJobSubmitter and FMEServerJobWaiter to run the wanted workspaces/jobs. Otherwise, in desktop, you would indeed need WorkspaceRunner.

Userlevel 4

I agree that the FMEServerJobSubmitter is the way to go. You can configure it to wait for the job to complete before it continues, which is probably what you're looking for.

I recommend having a look at the documentation before using the transformer, it's slightly more complex than what meets the eye:

http://docs.safe.com/fme/2018.0/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Transformers/Transformers/fmeserverjobsubmitter.htm

As a general note: Don't use the WorkspaceRunner on FME Server, it won't work as you expect.

Actually, with FME Server, you should look at building a master workspace, and have that utilize FMEServerJobSubmitter and FMEServerJobWaiter to run the wanted workspaces/jobs. Otherwise, in desktop, you would indeed need WorkspaceRunner.

@lifalin2016

If the workspaceRunner could not work, is there any alternative solution to do that?

I have 2 workbenches, I want to run the second one after the first one is completed successfully I

am using FME desktop just.

Userlevel 4

@lifalin2016

If the workspaceRunner could not work, is there any alternative solution to do that?

I have 2 workbenches, I want to run the second one after the first one is completed successfully I

am using FME desktop just.

If you only use FME Desktop then you need to use the WorkspaceRunner.

If you only use FME Desktop then you need to use the WorkspaceRunner.

I tried it but it could not work, the second workbench does not run

what shall be the issue in that?

Userlevel 4

Look in the FME log for errors. Also consider posting it as a separate question, try to give as many details as possible.

Badge +2

Hope you are using 2 workspace runners... If yes then post a new question with screenshot of connections between both workspace runners