Solved

Can I read shape files dat are gzipped (.gz)?

• 12 February 2015
  • 9 replies

Badge

Pretty simple question here.

I know that you can read zipped shape files by simple changing the extension to .zip in the advanced file browser.

However, I tried this with .gz and had no success.

Is there another way I can do this?

I’m using FME 2015 32x.

Regards,

icon

Best answer by olivier 3 February 2018, 10:15

View original

9 replies

Badge +6

Hi @robbie_botha

I was wondering if you had found a solution to this issue. I need to read hundreds of thousands of shapefiles which are gzipped on a server and load them into PostGIS.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Olivier

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hi @robbie_botha and @olivier

You can try to use the custom transformer GzipDecompressor.

The link for download https://hub.safe.com/transformers/gzipdecompressor

Thanks,

Danilo

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Yes, the GzipDecompressor can be used to decompress a gzip file, but in FME 2016.1+. I'm afraid it won't work in your FME version 2015. Also, the transformer doesn't support extracting files from a tar archive. A Shapefile dataset consists of 3 or more files, so possibly your data could be a *.tar.gz file.

As a workaround, if your platform is Windows, you can use a free software called 7-Zip (7z.exe) through the SystemCaller transformer.

Firstly donwnload 7-Zip from here and install it into your machine.

Example 1 (Command Line in SystemCaller): Decompress a gz file

""C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe" e -tgzip "C:\FME\tmp\data\file.txt.gz" -o"C:\FME\tmp\data\a" -aoa"

Example 2 (Use two SystemCallers): Decompress a tar.gz file and extract files from the tar.
1st SystemCaller (decompress tar.gz)
""C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe" e -tgzip "C:\FME\tmp\data\file.tar.gz" -o"C:\FME\tmp\data\b" -aoa"

2nd SystemCaller (extract files from tar)
""C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe" e -ttar "C:\FME\tmp\data\b\file.tar" -o"C:\FME\tmp\data\b" -aoa"

See the help of 7-Zip to learn more.

Badge +6

Thank you Takashi and Danilo! However I was looking for a way to read gzip (.gz) files without decompressing them, in a way similar to the zip option of the Shape reader. In my case each individual shape subfile is gzipped. Decompressing them would take a lot of disk space.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Thank you Takashi and Danilo! However I was looking for a way to read gzip (.gz) files without decompressing them, in a way similar to the zip option of the Shape reader. In my case each individual shape subfile is gzipped. Decompressing them would take a lot of disk space.

There is no way to read file without decompressing them. Even if the compression format was 'zip', FME extracts the zip file and save the extracted files into the temporary folder, and then reads them. Since the unzipped files will be removed automatically, looks like FME reads the zip file directly.

If you want to save disk space, consider using the TempPathnameCreator to generate folder or file paths to which decompressed files are saved. FME will removes automatically the folders/files with the paths generated by the transformer after the translation has completed.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

This is an example describing how you can leverage the TempPathnameCreator to create a temporary directory into which decompressed file will be saved. Assuming that the value of $(7Z_EXE) is the path to the 7-Zip executable (7z.exe), and the value of $(GZ_FILE) is the path to a gzipped text file - e.g. "file.txt.gz".

decompress-gz-with-7z.fmwt (FME 2017.1.2.1) -- not including "7z.exe"

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

This is also possible.

Badge +6

This is also possible.

Thank you so much Takashi! These are beautiful and very helpfusolutions. I will make use of the TempPathnameCreator combined with the GzipDecompressor.
Badge +6

This is also possible.

Hi Takashi,

I have tried the following in an attempt to make a gzip reader for shape files (without the copying and manual unzipping). However the FeatureReader rejects the path because it probably no longer exists at that process step:

So you see what I should do in order to make this work?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Olivier