Solved

DGN-layernames based on the content of an attribute

Badge +4

I have a workbench to translate a shapefile to Microstation DGN. In the workbench I have a parameter to let the user specify on with attribute of the shapefile the layernames in the DGN should be based. When I run the workbench in FME Workbench everything works fine and the layers in the DGN are named by the content of the attribute. But when I run the workbench in FME QuickTranslator, the layer in the DGN is named by the attribute itself.

Is this a bug?
icon

Best answer by mark2atsafe 10 July 2017, 18:44

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Did you specify the layername as @Value($parameter))? If so it should work, although I am noticing that the Quick Translator doesn't show an attribute list where the Workbench does.

Badge +4

Did you specify the layername as @Value($parameter))? If so it should work, although I am noticing that the Quick Translator doesn't show an attribute list where the Workbench does.

I just selected the paramater at levelname.

When i change this to @value($_layer) I get an error: Error creating level without any level name

I tried it with ParameterFetcher and Attributecreator, but this didn't work either.

In the uploaded zip the workbench and the shapefile.

layernames-dgn.zip

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

You do need to select an attribute (this should not be an optional parameter) and it needs to be filled with a value of course.

Anyway, I was able to reproduce your error, it happens for me too if I use the Quick Translator. I think this may be a bug indeed and would recommend that you send this in to Safe's support team, or the support team at your FME reseller.

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

You could use an AttributeCreator to get the attribute name and then the AttributeDereferencer to get the attribute value in a new attribute.

Use that attribute on the output layer name.

Badge +4

You could use an AttributeCreator to get the attribute name and then the AttributeDereferencer to get the attribute value in a new attribute.

Use that attribute on the output layer name.

When I do that, I get the error: Error creating level without any level name

Userlevel 2
Badge +16
When I do that, I get the error: Error creating level without any level name

What type of Published parameter did you use.

It should be of this type:

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

OK, it's a sort of bug. Workbench and the Quick Translator are interpreting the value differently. But it's partly because I don't think this is the best way to handle this.

Your published parameter has two options - but they are just strings you are selecting. You aren't selecting an attribute. This video shows how the icon changes from attribute to string when you make a selection:

https://www.screencast.com/t/wAQbOGkh

Workbench chooses to interpret this selection as an attribute, because an attribute of that name already exists. The Quick Translator doesn't. If anything I'd say the Workbench behaviour is wrong, but I doubt we would want to change it now.

The solution is this: In your published parameter definition, instead of the configuration being GME_NAAM%WPSNAAMNEN (i.e. strings) change it to @Value(GME_NAAM)%@Value(WPSNAAMNEN) (i.e. each entry is specified as an attribute).

That way works, but it's a little bit of a hack.

Another solution ought to be to change the parameter type to Attribute Name and then change the writer feature type name to @Value($(_layer)). But that doesn't work (I think it should), and even if it did you'd be giving the end user the full set of attributes to choose from.

Anyway, try that first solution and see what you think. It works for me.

Badge +4

Hi Mark,

Thanks, by changing the configuration to @Value(GME_NAAM)%@Value(WPSNAAMNEN) it works like I want to.

The other solutions (parameter type Attribute Name) doesn't work in the Quick Translator, because the parameter has no attributenames.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hi Mark,

Thanks, by changing the configuration to @Value(GME_NAAM)%@Value(WPSNAAMNEN) it works like I want to.

The other solutions (parameter type Attribute Name) doesn't work in the Quick Translator, because the parameter has no attributenames.

Right. I filed a problem report with the developers, because I think the Attribute Name parameter should work. But I'm glad we found a solution for you.