Question

classification lidar point in fme?

• 20 March 2013
  • 6 replies

Badge
Hi,

Do you know if it's possible to make classification of lidar point?

Thanks for your help

6 replies

Badge +21
Depends on what you want to extract. If you have an additional layer. For instance a vector layer with building-footprints. You can say that all Lidar-data within the building footprints gets a new _classification type = Building. However if you want to do only processing on the actual LIDAR-points with no additional data that might be tricky. Havent seen any examples of using FME extracting forest for instance. I hope someone else also comments on this!

Badge +14
Typically LiDAR data carries with it information that will allow you to classify it, namely the reflectance value. These values can give hints as to what they have reflected off as well depending on the format they can also carry colour attributes that may indicate reflectance from certain types of vegetation or say road paint markings. You'll need to inspect your data closely in the FME Data Inspector to first try to identify a pattern and then start to use some of the 11 or so specific Point Cloud Transformers to start to filter and split your data and assign classifications appropriate to your data. ESRI publish an interesting article here: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//015w0000005q000000
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

If you mean classification as vegetation, ground and so on than no, this is usually done (mostly manually) before hand.
Badge
Ok if understand, fme don't have transformer to do classification.  Ex: you have Raw data and use some transfromer to create a las file with class ground, vegetation, building....
Badge

Hello everyone, I am currently starting with FME desktop. I am trying to reclassify a point cloud extracted from polygons.

I would like to ask @carto30 if he has been able to reclassify LiDAR points and how he has done it. On the other hand, I would like to ask @sigtill what tools or transformers he has used to get the reclassification of points from polygons. Thank you very much. Regards.

Badge +3

@carto30

Lastools has (limited) clasification capability.

And there are wrappers built for some functions available in the fme hub.

You wil need to download the tools (and manual.)