Question

FME 2012 fails to read a DWG file, FME 2013 reads it

• 25 March 2013
  • 4 replies

Hi,

got an unexpected problem when re-building my FME 2013 workspace for FME 2012. DWG reader fails in the rebuilt workspace.

FME 2012 Workbench error message: AutoCAD Reader: An error occurred for dataset 'AYAA-GE42C_2 dwg.dwg', in function AutoCAD2004Reader::open: 'Not that kind of class'

FME 2013 reads the file without problem. Help would be highly appreciated

Thanks

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi Nik,

can you confirm that you're using FME 2012 SP4, build 12266?

If not, consider installing it, as it is the most recent up-to-date version of FME 2012. You can download it here: ftp://ftp.safe.com/fme/2012/

If you already have it installed, consider contacting Safe support directly.

David
Badge +10
Have you copied the reader featuretypes from the 2013 canvas and pasted them into the 2012 canvass? If so, try deleting the 2012 reader and adding it fresh from the Reader drop down menu instead. Does that make a difference?

Although it's not quite the same issue as with Transformer versioning, some readers/writers do change between versions and that may be the issue.
Thanks, Dave. I did try to re-create the reader. Fatal error is reported I after I hit Ok in the Add Reader dialog box.

Will try David R's advice regarding SP4. Many regular FME users here have 2012, so I cannot request them all ot be moved to 2013 as their  workspaces will fall apart..
Thanks all again. Simply pumping the file through FME 2013 (DWG-->DWG) created an output readable by FME 2012. After redeveloping my main workspace in FME 2012 I tried RealDWG format in the reader with the original file again. With a large number of warnings  a good enough output was produced. So the problem is solved.