Question

read user attributes only

• 10 August 2015
  • 3 replies
  • 1 view

In FME workbench, How can I validate READER feature type user attributes name, type and width with the predefined values.

for ex in Arcgis(arcobjects) , i do this by creating a predefined list of fieldnames . i loop through predefined list to check if the fieldname exist ,if yes then  i will read type,width,precion,length using pfeatlyr.FeatureClass.Fields.Field[j].Type,

pfeatlyr.FeatureClass.Fields.Field[j].Length

pfeatlyr.FeatureClass.Fields.Field[j].Name

similarly how can i achieve this in FME

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi

I'm not sure I fully understand, but if you need to validate the input schema, either use a "Schema (any format)" reader (http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_ReadersWriters/FME_Readers_Writers.htm#schema/Feature_Representation.htm%3FTocPath%3DFME%2520Readers%2520and%2520Writers%7CSchema%2520(Any%2520Format)%2520Reader%7C_____3) or a FeatureReader transformer. You will then get one feature per table with a list containing the field names and their definitions (data type and length).

David
Hi David,

I donot want to loop through features and get values . I want to read only the fieldnames[column name] and their datatype using *.shp files

As u can see in image below ,the navigator pane has 8 fieldnames and their datatype.

i want to read and validate them .

Userlevel 4
Hi

Do not use the FILEGDB reader, use the "Schema (any format)" reader. It will only output one single feature containing the schema definition, regardless of the Shape file contents.

David