Question

MapInfo Seamless table

• 27 November 2012
  • 1 reply

Hello All,

I have a large number of MapInfo TAB files that are currently used in MapInfo Workspaces to create a bunch of static maps. I would like to create an automated process to clean up some of this data and then combine the TAB files into a seamless table to replace each workspace. I could write a MapBasic program for this, but some of what I want to do to the TABs is probably easier within FME. Except I'm not sure if it is possible to create a seamless table within FME.

Has anyone attempted to create a MapInfo Seamless table (TAB file that references a number of other TAB files) within FME desktop?

1 reply

Badge +14
I think you maybe are better in this instance to do this with MapBasic... Trying to do this with FME maybe possible but it will be a little tricky.

There is no specific MFAL Seamless Table writer, so you would need to almost build the table from scratch by using a bounding box replacer for all your datasets and write these geometries into your MapInfo Table and associate with each geom two attributes 'Table' and 'Description'. Not only that but you'd also have to add metadata to the .TAB file to like:

begin_metadata "\\IsReadOnly" = "FALSE" "\\MapInfo" = "" "\\MapInfo\\TableID" = "b2a88041-aac5-45ee-89ae-86448c6eb95f" "\\IsSeamless" = "TRUE" end_metadata

...which you would likely need to do as a post process appending to the file as if it were a text file as I don't think you can write MapInfo metadata tags with FME.

Having said all that if you can build a Seamless builder stand alone application you could call that external application with a SystemCaller...

Sorry I can't be of more help.