Solved

FME-Server and FME-Desktop on the same machine?

• 9 September 2019
  • 7 replies

Badge +6
  • Contributor
  • 53 replies

We have FME-Desktop and FME-Server installed on two separate machines.

An external office is helping us setting up FME-Server and transferring our workbenches to the server.

Our informatics department is very strict with granting access to servers and it's only possible for them to access to the server on which FME-Server is installed with a two step identification (SMS-Code).

They can access to the server with FME-Desktop as well, but they cannot upload FME-Workbenches to the server, as they cannot establish a connection between the two servers.

Our plan is now to install FME-Desktop on the same machine as FME-Server. Are there any arguments against this or can it be done without problems?

Thanks, Vera

icon

Best answer by erik_jan 9 September 2019, 17:13

View original

7 replies

Badge

Hi, fmeserver has a webinterface and fmedesktop must upload workbenchs by the publish to server procedure (with rest interface).

I don't understand your architecture. Could you explain it?

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

Installing both FME Desktop and FME Server on the same machine is not problem at all.

For a number of customers I have realized this architecture.

On my own machine I have at least 10 different versions of FME Desktop and the latest version of FME Server installed and running.

Hope this information helps.

Userlevel 4

Installing both FME Desktop and FME Server on the same machine is not problem at all.

On my own machine I have at least 10 different versions of FME Desktop and the latest version of FME Server installed and running.

Can confirm, am doing the same thing. No problem, other than disk and memory filling up.

Badge

Hello both, I took your advice and installed the workbench and server on the same computer. Now I am stuck to configure the Web Connections from workbench to server. I tried all sorts of server URL and still cannot authenticate. any suggestion? thanks, Song

Userlevel 4

Hello both, I took your advice and installed the workbench and server on the same computer. Now I am stuck to configure the Web Connections from workbench to server. I tried all sorts of server URL and still cannot authenticate. any suggestion? thanks, Song

Did you already try http://localhost ?

Badge

Thanks David, realised that it is not ​url problem, it is authentication problem. For some reason windows authentication with active directory doesn't work. Username/password does work. Probably I should check the authentication setting at the server end. Thanks, Song

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

FME Server can use Active Directory, so it might be a configuration issue. You can check out the docs to see the steps you have to take.