Solved

Ellipses as areas

• 19 August 2016
  • 9 replies

Badge +1

Hi FMElers,

I want to have circles as areas. Therefore I use a Creator to create an ellipse with the same primary and secondary axe. For FME this object is a point with ellipse-properties.

How can I change it to an area? I already tried AreaBuilder and GeometryCoercer.

Cheers,

Maria

icon

Best answer by fmelizard 13 September 2016, 23:20

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

A GeometryCoercer to fme_polygon should do the trick. The boundary will still be an arc though, if you don't want that then an ArcStroker can change it into a proper polygon. The higher you set the number of interpolated edges the more accurate it will be.

Badge +2

Hi,

When you are creating ellipse with creator, it will be created as "fme_ellipse".

With GeometryCoercer, If you have you selected fme_polygon then it will be created as "fme_area"

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @gpt_executer, as other persons suggested, you can transform ellipses into polygons using some transformers, but in many cases, FME will perform the transformation automatically as needed. For example, the Dissolver can dissolve ellipses and polygons together and generate a merged polygon. Is there any reason to transform them explicitly?

Badge +1

Thanks everyone for the answer.

Yes, GeometryCoercer is doing the trick. I might have overlooked it beacause the end result is still not what I expect.

@takashi: My intent is to create a hatch for circle-objects for a DWG-file. Within FME everything looks good, but when I open the DWG-file the circles are stroked, except for the clipped circles.

full circle in FME

clipped circle in FME

hatches in DWG

The transformer DWGStyler has the parameters for Areas: Hatch with fill pattern.

What else can I adjust?!

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Thanks everyone for the answer.

Yes, GeometryCoercer is doing the trick. I might have overlooked it beacause the end result is still not what I expect.

@takashi: My intent is to create a hatch for circle-objects for a DWG-file. Within FME everything looks good, but when I open the DWG-file the circles are stroked, except for the clipped circles.

full circle in FME

clipped circle in FME

hatches in DWG

The transformer DWGStyler has the parameters for Areas: Hatch with fill pattern.

What else can I adjust?!

You are right. If you write the ellipse into a DWG dataset as a hatch object, it should be transformed into a polygon before applying the DWGStyler. It is not a case that FME performs the transformation automatically.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

In general, FME should be pleased to take an ellipse anywhere it expects an area -- there should never be any reason to do a coercion. I've asked the CAD team to check into this -- it may be that we've missed this case when autocad_entity is autocad_hatch and fme_type is fme_ellipse -- I'm thinking this should work but we'll check. @gpt_executer if you could create a tiny sample workspace showing exactly what you're doing and attach it here, that may speed the investigation.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

@gpt_executer

Hello. Unfortunately it seems that although it was added for reading, support for ellipse boundary hatch writing was never added to the ACAD or REALDWG writers. This is an opportunity to request this from support@safe.com.

Badge +3

@gpt_executer

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

In upcoming FME 2017 beta, ~b17149, hatch writing limitation is addressed for ACAD and REALDWG.

The following should be able to be written as hatch loops, with autocad_entity = autocad_hatch:

a) IFMEEllipse geometry

b) IFMEPolygon geometry with closed IFMEArc boundary (both circular and elliptical)