Question

FME Cloud Server: Set up a Data Download in URL email notification from an S3 bucket.

• 7 January 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge

I require a workflow to notify a customer that a data delivery is ready for download from an S3 bucket. The current process involves several workspaces on an FME Cloud Server pulling media files from an S3 bucket along with generating an FGDB and CSV feature records, all of this output which are staged in a directory on a specific FME SERVER SHARED TEMP/directory to be zipped up together as one zip file and pushed to a destination, in this particular case the zip file is pushed to an S3 bucket made available through the NextCloud application.

As a current temporary solution, I am using a workspace the Directory and File Pathnames Reader to read the zip file and using the filecopy writer to zip up the files and move/copy to a directory in the TEMP shared. This destination directory is configured as a Directory Watch service to watch for CREATE and then an S3 subscription service pushes the zip file to an S3 bucket. I would like to use the directory watch service on the S3 bucket as the notification for the download URL sent to the customer. (I may also revise this workspace to push to a Google drive or SFTP destination,) but in ALL cases I would like to generate an email which provides a URL to the final destination zip file and notifies a customer that it is available for download.

What I would like help to understand is how to set up an email notification to the customer that this zip file in the S3 bucket is ready to be downloaded and the URL for download is provided in that email notification.

- Can this be done by simply using the data download service on or should a workspace be created using an email transformer to reference the S3 bucket and notify of the zip file through a download URL?

Thanks in advance for any help.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

A workspace triggered by the Directory Watch on the S3 would be the best way I think. In it you can use the Emailer to send an email.

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

As I understand it the DataDownload service uses a temporary folder and is not easily configured/changed.

If it were me I would try and use the Emailer transformer in a workspace which is set up to watch on the S3 bucket. This will allow you to build the URL in the workapce before adding it into the body of the outgoing email.
Badge

As I understand it the DataDownload service uses a temporary folder and is not easily configured/changed.

If it were me I would try and use the Emailer transformer in a workspace which is set up to watch on the S3 bucket. This will allow you to build the URL in the workapce before adding it into the body of the outgoing email.

Thanks! I'm gonna give it a try.

Badge

A workspace triggered by the Directory Watch on the S3 would be the best way I think. In it you can use the Emailer to send an email.

Thanks for the confirmation workflow! Gonna give this a try!