Question

FeatureWriter transformer behaves differently on FME Server 2016.1 and FME Desktop 2016.1 (it ignores DWG template files)

• 7 February 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge

I am using FME Server 2016.1.1 and FME Desktop 2016.1.3.1 to make a workspace for FME Server that will write a DXF/DWG file with the FeatureWriter transformer. I have to use a template DWG file to be able to write the correct linetypes and block names.

But I have noticed that the FeatureWriter transformer, when running on FME Server, will simply ignore the template DWG file I have specified, and write in the log that "No AutoCAD Template file specified". However, running the same workspace, with the same parameters, locally on FME Desktop, the FeatureWriter transformer will use the template DWG file as expected.

I have tried putting the template DWG file on the server's local C: drive with an absolute path, putting the template DWG file on a network share with an UNC path, and uploading the tempate DWG file when publishing the workspace. No matter what, the FeatureWriter transformer will always always ignore the template DWG file when running on FME Server.

The only way I have been able to write DWG/DXF files with the template DWG file on FME Server is by using the classic Writer. But I have a lot of logic happening after writing the file that I would like to avoid putting into shutdown scripts.

Has anyone else had problems using template DWG files with the FeatureWriter transformer?

3 replies

Badge

That is something I should check out.

Another suggestion: upload the .dwg together with your workspace and use a relative path to point to that dwg? Maybe you already tried this. :)
Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @skagen,

This doesn't sound good! In addition to @jneujens' suggestion one option for a workaround could be try out the other DWG writer type (for example if you've been using the ACAD Format try using the REALDWG format the feature writer. The functionality should be almost the same. Don't forget to republish the workspace after making the changes.

Please let us know how that works for you.

Badge

Hi @skagen,

This doesn't sound good! In addition to @jneujens' suggestion one option for a workaround could be try out the other DWG writer type (for example if you've been using the ACAD Format try using the REALDWG format the feature writer. The functionality should be almost the same. Don't forget to republish the workspace after making the changes.

Please let us know how that works for you.

Hi Matt,

It seems like the RealDWG writer has the same problem when writing from a FeatureWriter transformer.

In the attaced file, I have stripped down my workspace to just the FeatureWriter and put my test data into a FFS file. If you put everything under C:\\datatemp\\dwg_feature_writer_ffs\\ both locally and on FME Server, both environment should be able to run the workspace without needing to adjust anything.

I also included the log files from running this workbench both locally on FME Desktop 2016.1.3.1 - Build 19716 - win32, and FME Server 2016.1.1 - Build 16609 - win32.

dwg-feature-writer-ffs.zip