Question

Create a line with one start point and many end points

• 7 March 2018
  • 8 replies

Hi,

I have a road network as the base, I have a start and end co-ordinate and for the shortest path to be determined using the underlying road network, I am using the following transformers, VertexCreator, AttributeCreator, PointConnector and ShortestPathFinder.

This appears to be doing what I need quite well.

The problem is where there are multiple start or end points, or if there are other complex networks in the middle of the created line, the option of doing the above but creating a line with multiple start and end points and using multiple PointConnector transformers. Is there a more simpler method in doing this?

Many thanks

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
The solution depends on how the source dataset is storing the start and end coordinates. Could you please explain the actual data conditions a little more specifically?

The solution depends on how the source dataset is storing the start and end coordinates. Could you please explain the actual data conditions a little more specifically?

Hi Takashi,

Thanks for your response. The underlying road network is a line dataset and all I am retrieving is the x,y co-ordinate for the starting point where I want my "line" to start from and specifying an end x-y co-ordinate as it is defined in the road network, the road network was captured using BNG and all I am after is creating a shortest route between the start and end co-ordinate, problem is when there are multiple end points.

Thanks,

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

I'm still unclear the situation. For example, if you have a single start point A, and three end points B, C, and D, do you need to create three From-To lines A-B, A-C, and A-D?

I'm still unclear the situation. For example, if you have a single start point A, and three end points B, C, and D, do you need to create three From-To lines A-B, A-C, and A-D?

Yes I could do as you suggested, although my suggestion was to instead create one line A to Z, Z is the common point for all three junctions and then create Z to B, Z to C and Z to D.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

I don't know if I understand your requirement correctly, but this screenshot illustrates a possible way to create three lines A-Z-B, A-Z-C, and A-Z-D from a line A-Z and three points B, C, and D.

thanks for your solution takashi, would you suggest a similar solution if we went with what you suggested, e.g. a single start point A and three end points of B, C and D, therefore creating three From-To lines of A-B, A-C and A-D?

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Just replace the A-Z Line in the workflow with a single A Point.

Badge +4

shortestpathmultipleendpoints.fmw