Question

Generate sequence

Hi, 

I would like to generate a sequence in a new column.

I have an Excel file with pages and I would like to import this Excel file in 3 tables in Oracle 11g.

In each Oracle table, I would like to have an extra column "OBJECTID", and I would like to fill this column with a sequence starting at 1 (1,2,3,4,5,...).

I don't know how I can do that.

Thank you for your answers!

Fabienne

11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

You can use the counter for that, you can also specify an attribute/feature to create a count by (att/feature).
Hi, 

Thank you for you answer. But with the counter, I have to specify an input. I would like FME generate automatically a sequence starting at 1.

Is it possile?

Thank you!

Fabienne

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

I dont really understand what you mean by automatically...if you specify OBJECTID as you count output attribute and your feature type (fme_feature_type) in the counter name.

This will generate for each feature type a OBJECTID attribute with a count (1,2,3). you should specify that you want to start with 1 in the count start, all FME countings start with zero.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
forgot to mention that you can also use the end sql to let the db creat a sequence
Hi, 

I don't understand what I have to put as Input of the counter. There's still a red arrow as the input of the counter. 

I would like to send you an image to help you to understand what I mean but I didn't manage to send you an image here. Have you en e-mail?

Thank you!

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

You can link an image in the thread (see buttons above).

I gather you are reading the xls, the reader has an arrow, connect the reader to the counter (red arrow).

See more about connections of transformers here:

http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Workbench/Default.htm#Connecting_Transformers.htm
Hi, 

The image is on my laptop an not on internet. So I cannot link it.

If I link the Reader with the Input of the counter, it doesn't work. Indeed, in this case, the result in my table is:

OBJECTID      TYPE         COLUMN_NAME       DESCRIPTION

(null)                Onglet        Hommes                   données pour les hommes 1                       (null)           (null)                           (null) (null)                Onglet        Femmes                    données pour les femmes

2                       (null)           (null)                           (null)

I would like to have the following in my table:

OBJECTID      TYPE         COLUMN_NAME       DESCRIPTION

1                       Onglet        Hommes                   données pour les hommes 2                       Onglet        Femmes                    données pour les femmes

Thank you so much for your help!

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi,

I guess that you connected the Counter to the Reader in parallel to the main feature stream. If so, try re-connecting it on the main stream in a series.

Takashi
Hi, 

Thank you Takashi. 

My counter is in parralel with the arrow from the Excel sheet to the Oracle table, but if I put it in serie, the columns of the Excel sheet and the columns of the Oracle table are not linked anymore.

It is difficult to explain what I have and I cannot put an image to show you my workbench because the image is on my laptop and not on internet.

Do you have an e-mail so that I can send you an image of my workbench?

Thank you!

Fabienne

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi Fabienne,

In that case the you can right click on the connection to the writer and select automatically connect.

Also if you have a dropbox account you can upload the image and share it here.
Thank you so much!

It is working now!!!

Thank you.

Fabienne