Solved

Anyone who's been using FME to handle SLD files ?

• 7 September 2017
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

Hi,

We currently have some issues about transferring SLD (Styled Layer Descriptor) styles between QGis and Geoserver. Their syntax support doesn't seem to be completely in sync. So we might need to tweak the SLD files when transferring them.

Now, SLD files are XML files, so it would be entirely possible to let FME do the "dirty work".

But before venturing into this, I'd appriciate hearing about whether anyone has looked into this issue before? And if so, what the pitfalls are. Or if there are other more beneficial avenues to follow?

I can see that there are multiple suggestion about support for SLD, so this ties into that. Even an SLD format reader/writer perhaps ? Don?? :-)

Cheers.

icon

Best answer by davidandrewpegg 25 October 2017, 17:21

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hi @lifalin2016,

I never did SLD in FME before. And how did you write that is a Idea to implement in future .

Thanks,

Danilo

Badge +2

Hi @lifalin2016,

At this point of time FME does not support writing into SLD . The easiest way to deal with your issue is to install the Boundless "Geoserver Explorer" Plugin in QGIS which would copy the styles of your layers from QGIS into Geoserver effortlessly. The plugin would also help you manage Geoserver layers (Adding/removing) fom QGIS itself. You could also copy the XML from SLD file from QGIS using the same plug-in.

The plugin is free.

Please let me know if this helps.

another option is to download the sld editor contributed by SCISYS to the open source community see

http://www.scisys.co.uk/what-we-do/geographic-information-systems/sld-editor.html

if you have lots of layers we also have another tool that massively streamlines the process so feel free to get in touch

Badge +2

another option is to download the sld editor contributed by SCISYS to the open source community see

http://www.scisys.co.uk/what-we-do/geographic-information-systems/sld-editor.html

if you have lots of layers we also have another tool that massively streamlines the process so feel free to get in touch

Thanks @davidandrewpegg for sharing !

Userlevel 2
Badge +19

Hi @lifalin2016,

At this point of time FME does not support writing into SLD . The easiest way to deal with your issue is to install the Boundless "Geoserver Explorer" Plugin in QGIS which would copy the styles of your layers from QGIS into Geoserver effortlessly. The plugin would also help you manage Geoserver layers (Adding/removing) fom QGIS itself. You could also copy the XML from SLD file from QGIS using the same plug-in.

The plugin is free.

Please let me know if this helps.

Do you know if the extension has changed its name or something? I can't find it in QGis 3.2 :(

Userlevel 6
Badge +32
Do you know if the extension has changed its name or something? I can't find it in QGis 3.2 :(

It is not QGIS 3 compatible... yet. See https://github.com/boundlessgeo/qgis-geoserver-plugin/issues/89
Badge +2

They are usually one QGIS version behind. I suggest you use the old version of QGIS to make the updates. If you are looking just for the sld file, you can export the style of your layer from the layer properties under the symbology tab.