Solved

I’m doing an FME Server backup that fails when I try to download it, why?

• 23 October 2018
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

When I try and perform a backup using the ‘Backup to Download’ option in the FME Server Web UI (v2018) it says the process failed but when I look at the log file there are no reported errors and in History the status is marked as success.

icon

Best answer by hollyatsafe 23 October 2018, 18:38

View original

1 reply

Badge +2

This has been found to happen in FME Server version 2018.0 and above. The Web UI will report the backup as a Failure initially but there will be no indication of what the problem was in the task history and the task status is marked as a success. Other key symptoms of this problem include the pop up error ‘There was a problem communicating with the REST API’ and there is also a two minute timeout, this is referring to both the file compression and download, so if between these two operations the process takes more than two minutes, this error will occur.

There is a change request in place to fix this which is currently being worked on, as a workaround you can choose the option ‘Save to Resources’ and then download/copy it from this location.

Note: If you are performing a backup as part of an upgrade/re-install make sure you move the file to a folder that will be accessible outside of FME Server after the uninstall.