Question

MSWordStyler how to include picture in table?

Badge +22
  • Contributor
  • 1959 replies

I would like create a MSWord document that includes a table that has 3 columns. The first two columns are just attributes, but the third should be a thumbnail image, whose path is stored in an attribute.

I can use the MSWordStyler to generate a table, I can also use it to add the pictures.

What I haven't been able to figure out is how to add the pictures in the 3rd column of the table.

10 replies

Badge +4

I don't think this is possible in word with FME. It is possible in html with the html report generator using custom HTML:

https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/84748/conditional-html-report-formatting-and-table-conte.html

You can open HTML documents with word.

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Do you need to avoid python?

Badge +22

Do you need to avoid python?

No, python is fine.

What I'm hoping to avoid is falling down the rabbit hole of custom jsonSnippets/XML that @janb pioneered.
Userlevel 1
Badge +10

No, python is fine.

What I'm hoping to avoid is falling down the rabbit hole of custom jsonSnippets/XML that @janb pioneered.

I have a workflow that creates the table in a word document with the image column populated with the imagepath, then after a featurewriter uses a pythoncaller to replace that text with the image specified by the path. It's on my machine at home, so I can share later.

Badge +22

I have a workflow that creates the table in a word document with the image column populated with the imagepath, then after a featurewriter uses a pythoncaller to replace that text with the image specified by the path. It's on my machine at home, so I can share later.

@egomm I would love to see that workflow.

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

@egomm I would love to see that workflow.

write_to_word_python.fmwt

It's never been used in anger, but was something I was experimenting with, but might give you some ideas.

Badge +22

write_to_word_python.fmwt

It's never been used in anger, but was something I was experimenting with, but might give you some ideas.

Thanks, this gives me lots of ideas.

EDIT: docX is awesome, I've gone to creating the entire document in python, rather than have a dozen samplers and MSWordStylers to create all the necessary hierarchy.

Thank you egomm.

Your script is great!

No, python is fine.

can share again

Badge +10

No, python is fine.

Hi @venu​ ,

The comment above has been updated with the link to the workspace "write_to_word_python.fmwt" now.

-Andrea