Question

How to dynamically create Arcsde Feature Class with domains and dynamic feature class names?

• 20 December 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi

I need to create in dynamic way ESRI Feature Class with domains fields. Feature Class names are dynamic so there is a problem to use XML schema template which defines only one, static feature class.

I cant also import schema to Writer because FME do not import domains field definitions (am I right?) so when FME create new FC I don't get domain fields.

Thanks for any suggestions

4 replies

Badge +2

@arekpierchala I don't think FME can do this on it's own. My guess would be that you'll have to develop some arcpy to create the domains after you have written the data. Possibly a combination of FeatureWriter and PythonCaller. You'll have to accumulate a list of the unique values for each domain attribute using the DuplicateFilter & Aggregator (Attributes to Concatenate)

Badge +8

Maybe @mmccart might have an idea?

Badge

@arekpierchala I don't think FME can do this on it's own. My guess would be that you'll have to develop some arcpy to create the domains after you have written the data. Possibly a combination of FeatureWriter and PythonCaller. You'll have to accumulate a list of the unique values for each domain attribute using the DuplicateFilter & Aggregator (Attributes to Concatenate)

I've done some tests with XML template of FC definition. Its simple Python to replace FC name in XML, but there is a problem to replace Coordinate System definition in XML. In my outputs each different feature class need to have different coord sys :(

Badge +2

I've done some tests with XML template of FC definition. Its simple Python to replace FC name in XML, but there is a problem to replace Coordinate System definition in XML. In my outputs each different feature class need to have different coord sys :(

Not sure if this would make it less dynamic, but have you tried handling the coordinate system portion using Conditional Values in the CoordinateSystemSetter (or Reprojector if you are reprojecting)?