Solved

Replicate features based on a numeric attribute value (if it is > 1)

Badge

I'm looking for a method to "explode" single features into multiple features based on the numeric value in a given attribute field. Here is an example of what I'm working with and where I'm trying to get to, keeping in mind that there is point data attached to each record here...

AnimalNumber_SeenOwl1Deer2Raccoon3

I'm looking to "explode" the features so that there is one point feature for each individual animal...

AnimalNumber_SeenOwl1Deer1Deer1Raccoon1Raccoon1Raccoon1

It's worth noting that there are many features on the map for any given animal type, but the observations have been aggregated by the number of animals seen in the group at the time. An animal sighting with a "Number_Seen" = 1 does not need to be "exploded".

Does anyone know a good FME workflow to do such a thing? I essentially need to de-aggregate points and replicate the spatial/attribute data so that there is a feature for each individual animal observed.

Thanks for any help you can provide, fellow FME'ers!

icon

Best answer by jdh 22 June 2020, 22:47

View original

3 replies

Badge +22

If your data contains aggregates of the point location, so that a single record contains multiple points, then you want the deaggregator.

If you have a single point for each record and want to replicate it so that there is one point per animal, then you want the Cloner.

Badge

If your data contains aggregates of the point location, so that a single record contains multiple points, then you want the deaggregator.

If you have a single point for each record and want to replicate it so that there is one point per animal, then you want the Cloner.

Thanks @jdh. My goodness, three years of FME and I couldn't re-call my need for a Cloner today...and I've used that transformer before in workflows! I appreciate the quick response - this was exactly what I was looking for.

Badge +22

Thanks @jdh. My goodness, three years of FME and I couldn't re-call my need for a Cloner today...and I've used that transformer before in workflows! I appreciate the quick response - this was exactly what I was looking for.

19 years in and there are still transformers I'm learning about...