Question

create point from excel data

• 3 September 2014
  • 3 replies

Hi

I have an excel table with Easting Northings. I have created a script to run the data from Excel to a Geodatabase, however I cannot get the points features to show in the right projection.

I have 2D Point replacer showing the Easting Northings to create the points, no issue. I also use the CoordinateSystemsetter as MGA94-56 to project the points features to our area but the points keep showing in the northern hemisphere.

I have also set the source and destination  Coordinate System to MGA94-56.

Am I missing spomething??

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

be aware that the CoordinateSystemSetter won't reproject your geometries, you will have to use the Reprojector, or even better, the CSMapReprojector for that.

From the help (http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Transformers/Default.htm#Transformers/coordinatesystemsetter.htm):

Tags all features with the specified coordinate system. It does not reproject features, or otherwise modify their geometry.

David
Badge +1
HiYa,

1. Check - are your Easting and Northing values GRID values and NOT Long (Easting) and Lat (Northing).

Is it raw GPS data for example ???

If so it may be LL84 (Long Lat)

2. Check - Eastings and Northings field names are not mixed up (transposed)

Whatever your coordinate values are (either GRID values or Long Lat values, you must:

1. Define coord system eg LL84 - this just tells FME what the data is - use CoordSystemSetter THEN

2. Actually Reproject the data to the Coord system you want eg MGA94-56 eg using Reprojector.

FME can't reproject the data until you tell it what it's reprojecting the data FROM ie what coord system the data is in NOW.

Hope this helps

Howard L'
David, Howard thank you for the info.

David I have tried the CSMapReporjector but still same location.

Howard The Eastings and Northings look like below

Easting Northing

259929.000 7008731.000

They are in there own fields within excel. They are both correct as I have my screen up and know where they should be.

Maybe I have the transformers set up incorrectly. I have the following flow
  • 2DPointReplacer from the Excel (Replaces the geometry of the feature with a two-dimensional box whose minimums and maximums are fixed values, or are taken from attributes in the original feature.
  • CSmapReprojector (Reprojects feature coordinates from one coordinate system to another using the CS-MAP library.)
  • CoordinateSystemSetter (Tags all features with the specified coordinate system. It does not reproject features, or otherwise modify their geometry. You should use this transformer if you know the feature belongs to a certain coordinate system, but it is not tagged. This can happen if the feature is read from a format that does not store coordinate system information)

Then goes straight into a GDB