Question

Converting 2D DGN files as FBX giving empty files

• 23 September 2019
  • 2 replies

Hi,

I am new to FME. I have a 2D DGN file which I want to export to FBX and then plan to use that FBX in the Unity 3D game engine(in 2D mode).

Currently, I used FME inspector to view the DGN file which opens fine and displays everything correctly. But then when I go to files menu and save it as FBX file, it exports around 10 files which are partially visible.

Please help me in sorting this issue. Let me know if any further information is needed.

Thank You,

Vikas

2 replies

Badge +2

Hi @vikasarora200,

Welcome to the FME Community! The first thing that comes to mind is geometry - what geometry does the source dataset contain? The FBX writer doesn't support every geometry type, see the full list here, so you may need to do some geometry transformation(s) in order for all of your features to be converted.

To start out, I would recommend choosing the generate workspace option in FME Workbench and set the Reader to DGN and point to the source dataset and set the Writer to the FBX format. This will be a good starting point as it will automatically generate a workspace for you so you can simply hit the Run button. From there, you will be able to see what might be causing the issues (i.e unsupported geometry) in the Translation Log. Next, you may need to do some geometry transformations like create Aggregates, surfaces, etc. before writing to FBX.

Unfortunately, we don't have any FBX specific articles but as you are new to FME I would also recommend checking out our free FME Desktop Basic and FME Desktop Advanced training. If you don't have time to complete the full course right away, you can also get up to speed quickly with the Getting Started with FME Desktop tutorials.

Hope that helps!

Hi @vikasarora200,

Welcome to the FME Community! The first thing that comes to mind is geometry - what geometry does the source dataset contain? The FBX writer doesn't support every geometry type, see the full list here, so you may need to do some geometry transformation(s) in order for all of your features to be converted.

To start out, I would recommend choosing the generate workspace option in FME Workbench and set the Reader to DGN and point to the source dataset and set the Writer to the FBX format. This will be a good starting point as it will automatically generate a workspace for you so you can simply hit the Run button. From there, you will be able to see what might be causing the issues (i.e unsupported geometry) in the Translation Log. Next, you may need to do some geometry transformations like create Aggregates, surfaces, etc. before writing to FBX.

Unfortunately, we don't have any FBX specific articles but as you are new to FME I would also recommend checking out our free FME Desktop Basic and FME Desktop Advanced training. If you don't have time to complete the full course right away, you can also get up to speed quickly with the Getting Started with FME Desktop tutorials.

Hope that helps!

Thanks @chrisatsafe for the detailed answer. I will go through the provided documentation.