Question

Non-linear geometry to Polyline feature

• 8 February 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge +6

I get this below error while writing to SDE from Shape file.

ERROR |Cannot write a non-linear feature to a polyline feature class.

Have tried using GeometryFilter to filter line type and GeometryValidator, but still I get this error. I don't see geodb_line geometry type in SDE writer.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks,

3 replies

Badge +6
Tagging in @Mark2AtSafe, @mark_1spatial, @erik_jan, @RylanAtSafe, @jlutherthomas
Badge +7

Hi @fmeuser_gc, thanks for posting your question!

If you can isolate the offending feature by a process such as Running with Breakpoints, you might be able to gain some insight into why it is being tagged as non-linear. In addition, you could try passing the feature through one or more of the following transformers before your SDE write: GeometryCoercer, CoordinateRounder, or ArcSDEGridSnapper. The ArcSDEGridSnapper might be a good place to start as it might uncover the underlying issue with the "non-linear" feature. You may need to follow it by a GeometryValidator to achieve a successful write.

Hope this helps!

Nathan

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @fmeuser_gc,

It's possible that a very short line is being converted to a point by the rounding performed when writing to Geodatabase SDE. Please try adding an ArcSDEGridSnapper transformer before the GeometryValidator and GeometryFilter. This transformer will perform the same rounding done by the writer (given the output table's scale and origin), allowing you to find any problems created by the rounding.